Power tailgate lock

irayfz6

So last week I installed a Pop 'n Lock PL8521 power tailgate lock. Installation was easy, took about 45 minutes or so. However, after reassembling the tailgate, I pulled the tailgate latch, and found that it was not secure at all. I found that if I pulled the tailgate handle with any force at all, the lock would be defeated and the tailgate would open.

I was pretty disappointed, obviously, but I had seen a product before that I was pretty sure would fix my problem. Tacomatruckparts.com sells a bracket for the pl8521 that makes it mount much more securely. The problem I was having is that the locking bar only mounts to 1 bolt, and when the tailgate latch was turned, the locking bar was just moving out of the way and allowing the tailgate to open.

With the new bracket installed, the lock cannot move at all, and the tailgate will not open. I am very happy with this purchase. I wish Pop 'n Lock would make the part this way from the get-go. They sell a product that does not work at all (at least on my application). If anyone is interested in installing one, I highly recommend this bracket.

http://tacomatruckparts.com/product_pl8521_bracket.htm

Thanks for sharing this info! I've been looking for an automatic lock solution.

I'm pretty happy with mine. I just wish Pop 'n Lock would take care of their customers from the start. I have seen quite a few threads where people have had problems with them. Oh well, with this bracket in place, it works like it should.

I also have pop and lock on my 2014....but just the actuator and locks and unlocks with the remote...

I also have pop and lock on my 2014....but just the actuator and locks and unlocks with the remote...

Mine locks and unlocks with remote also. However, when the actuator was locked (before I installed The additional bracket) if I pulled on the tailgate handle with a little extra force, it would still open. I'm sure in some applications they work as designed, but that was not the case on my truck. Mine was useless without the bracket.

Back