Practical Offroading Upgrades (EXPO Rigs)

I'm new to Taco's and this forum. Just bought my white 2014 DCSB auto v6 SR5 with 4x4. I have been researching a ton about expedition rigs which is my ultimate goal. I grew up offroading with my Dad's stock Jeep and it did just fine without any mods. I understand it can look badass and menacing with all of those upgrades available out there, but I'm more interested in getting the job done, not exactly looking like a rich highschooler in a jacked up diesel (no offense intended, just not my style, and too each there own of course and highschool was fun for that sort of stuff).

What is actually necessary for a self independent and practical truck that is still very much highway capable. Long travel suspension setups look cool and offer more ability, but are they prone to phantom creeking sounds and annoying issues when compared to the tried and true stock suspension? Lifted trucks help with breakover angle or high centering issues and overall clearances but again...stock suspension is typically bulletproof anyway right? So couldn't you just approach rocks at a more applicable angle? I know lockers will help immensely...but would that affect towing capacity?

I understand many people have probably posted similar topics but I havn't read any that answer my questions.

Anyone with experiences or ideas? Everyone is welcome. Links, pics, etc. Thanks you all!

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1439577919.847911.jpgImageUploadedByTaco Forum1439577981.652645.jpgImageUploadedByTaco Forum1439578000.421584.jpg
I've been building this 07 I bought in Dec. 14 for about 5 weeks! Last weekend I installed new calipers, rotors and pads. Since then I found a bad front wheel bearing! So new bearing and already pressed hubs are going on with new axles and dust covers! I build a 2010 FJ TT that I bought new and loved wheeling in it!ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1439578504.945892.jpg

Here is mine. It's in granny status right now all stock. Kick@$$ Kangaroo punchers, rock sliders and racks etc. can wait. Right now it's what's inside that will count.

Attachments

• 1439596647573.jpg
    1439596647573.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 64
Taco right now;
Bilstein 5100 Struts and Shocks
OME Front 2886 Heavy constant load
OME Dakar rear springs 2.5"-2.75" with additional 2" blocks underneath
Light Racing UCA's
Brand New Toyota LCA's and All new cam adjusters bushing with hardware .
ARB front bumper with LineX
All Pro rear bumper with LineX
Warn 8000 S winch
Leer cap
Last weekend installed new calipers with slotted rotors and pads.
Tomorrow I'm installing Koyo front bearings already pressed into Dorman hubs with Toyota bolts
Also, new front axles and dust shields
I've put 250,000 miles on the front setup between my FJ and Taco!

Back