Pro comp 3" lift with pro comp 9000 shocks and add a leaf

lvanzijl

My Hilux
I am scheduled to have this installed on my DC TRD but read mix reviews online. I will be 90% on the pavement and off-road 4-6 times per year. Any suggestions/feedback. I hear the pro comp lift with add a leaf could be bumpy and stiff.

4wheelparts also offer rev tech and bilstein leveling kits. Need some help!

The favorite around is Billy 5100s. A rear AAL will make the rear stiffer and blocks promote axle wrap. I went with a progressive AAL and the ride is stiffer but it isn't ridiculous.

I believe the Procomp lift includes front spacers. Spacers are absolute crap in any shape or form.

The package is a 3 Inch Lift Kit with 4 new Pro-comp ES9000 shocks and springs plus AAL in the back. So no spacers as part of this install. I wonder what the alternative is for the ES9000 and springs. I see mixed reviews on the pro-comp ES9000's. I will be adding 285/70/17 BFG AT tires as part of the lift.

I would go with a quality coil over with reservoir up front and a quality reservoir shock in the rear.
King
Fox
Icon
Bilstein
All build great shocks, they are rebuildable, tunable and adjustable.

It all depends on your budget.
I will be using the Total Chaos upper A arms with King 2.5 coil overs and King 2.5 reservoirs in the rear.

2wd - Lift spindles with 5100s set to 0

4wd - 5100s with Eibach coils

Too much money and you like overkill 2wd - New coilovers with a spindle lift
" " " 4wd - New coilovers

It all depends on your budget.
I will be using the Total Chaos upper A arms with King 2.5 coil overs and King 2.5 reservoirs in the rear.

I am flexible on the Budget. I am also going to do wheels and tires, but I am looking at $4,000 as a limit for 2-3" lift. Wheels & tires should be an extra $2k.

Tacoma Dave, when are you planning on doing yours. Would like to get some feedback on ride and total cost. On what Taco will you install this. I have a 2013 TRD DC.

I am also considering the Icon Stage 4 system:
58550 - Billet Upper Control Kit
58735 - Extended Travel Remote Reservoir Coil-over Shock Kit
51100 - 1.5" Lift Rear Add a Leaf Kit
56503R x 2 - ICON 2.0 Aluminum Series Rear Reservoir Shocks

This is similar to the suggested Total Chaos Upper A Arm with King 2.5 Coil overs and King 2.5 reservoir in the back. This kit also include an AAL. Not sure if that will significantly stiffen the ride.

I don't have first hand experience with Icon, but I also haven't heard anything bad about them.
I have used King and Fox on my other offroad builds. I like that King uses a 7/8 shaft.
Best advise I can offer is do your research and do a lot of it, as they say knowledge is power...

Thanks Dave, that is good advice. I should have done more research. I cancelled my order for the Pro Comp 3" lift mentioned earlier. Lesson learned.

I went with overkill myself. Fox 2.5 extended travel resi up front with Light Racing uppers and Fox 2.0 Resi with a Wheeler's progressive AAL in the rear. Also Wheeler's Superbumps all around.

543927_10151445222153600_204176176_n_zps314de609.jpg

IMG_20130615_150113_383_zpsb4017e6b.jpg

I got the 1.5 to 2 inch lift I wanted. I will probably ditch the stock leaf packs for Alcan in the future.

Last edited:
That sounds like a great combo. How do you like the ride as compared to the OEM ride prior to the upgrade? Did the AAL stiffen the ride? With only 2 inch lift I assume you kept the standard 31" OEM wheels.

The front is stiffer but not too bad. I have the coilovers cranked a bit to match the rear lift but I still have tweaking to do. The AAL did stiffen the rear but again it isn't too bad for the most part. When going over a dip the rear seems to rebound too much. I don't know if it is the shocks or the AAL. The shocks are actually FJ shocks which were valved for a Tacoma. A buddy mentioned that it did ride much better than his Tacoma.

Yes I am sticking with 265/75 tires. I didn't want to deal with chopping everything.

Back