Question about lifts

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by PaulTheHoss95, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Konaborne

Konaborne Well-Known Member

100% of my wrenching experience is on my taco, so I have nothing to compare it to haha

yeh the expos have me at 4.5" in the back..27" h/f :shifty:

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. skullztrucker

skullztrucker Well-Known Member

Are 2" coil overs actually taller then the 2" billys?

4. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

No. The difference between Billies and adjustable coilovers is the threaded collar for preload adjustment. You can get more height from an adjustable coilover but your suspension is limited to 3 inches of lift from shocks before you start having issues with other parts.

5. skullztrucker

I was on Tacomaworld and someone posted running 285s on a 2" coil over. I thought you needed 3"

6. whippersnapper02

I read that too. I guess you need 4.5 inch backspaced wheels and possibly a cab mount chop. It is something I may attempt in the future.

7. skullztrucker

I just want a decent tire that fills the well once I install the billys. Thanks for the help

8. skullztrucker

Just went back to the page where my rims are and they are 4.75" back spaced but I don't know if I want to cut the truck up quite yet.

9. dirtysouthyota

dirtysouthyota Well-Known Member

So I'm thinking about putting 2" spacers in the front and an add a leaf in the back with longer u bolts for a bulldog look ! Any thoughts?
    Pros/cons?

10. whippersnapper02

Wheel spacers or lift spacers? Wheel spacers might cause rubbing. Personally I wouldn't like it but it's up to you.

11. dirtysouthyota

Lift spacers lol sorry shoulda specified

12. whippersnapper02

No lift spacers. 5100s are a bit more money and provide a much better ride and they won't cause damage to your suspension.

13. dirtysouthyota

Thanks for the help!

14. skullztrucker

Ok. So here is another one. It's it worth replacing the uca right now when I'm only putting the billys on or should I wait till I get coilovers

15. skullztrucker

Never mind I'm an idiot

16. skullztrucker

Should I buy a diff drop kit when I install the bilsteins

17. whippersnapper02

18. skullztrucker

Not tall enough?

19. whippersnapper02

Diff drops cause more harm than good. They rotate the rear of the diff up so the pinion bearing gets less lube. The end CV angle change isn't worth possibly burning up your pinion bearing and slightly lower ground clearance.

20. skullztrucker

I'd a diff drop ever a good idea?

21. skullztrucker