RAV 4

Series6

My company issued the sales team new RAV4's. They have lane departure warning and lane correction. I had to turn mine off. I was on the freeway in the number one lane the furthest to the left when I saw an object in my lane. I moved to the right without hitting my turn signal and the son of a gun jerked to the Left because I didn't put on my turn signal. Darn near put me into the center divider. I am not impressed. Anybody else have any issues with the so-called safety devices in these new vehicles?

My wife’s RAV4 is a 2017, it gives a gentle nudge back, but it’s nothing that you cannot easily overcome. Nothing that would throw back in a different direction. In my unscientific testing if you take your hands off the wheel it will generally keep you within the lane. Nothing that would throw you in the opposite direction. That was 2017 model, I haven’t driven a newer one.

Southbound Interstate 5, #1 lane, 70+/-. Flow of traffic. Gradual left curve. Behind a Sprinter van roughly 25 yards ahead, in moderate traffic. Van moved right and I see truck tire tread driver side of center and I steer right to avoid without turn signal. Cross into lane to the right. Warning bell sounds and the steering wheel jerks left to "correct" path. At that speed, the correction happens fast. Car rocked and I had to pull it back.

I'm a good skilled driver. 1.5M miles, 1 accident which was clearly not my error. In bad weather, I'm not sure....

I disabled it.

My wife’s RAV4 is a 2017, it gives a gentle nudge back, but it’s nothing that you cannot easily overcome. Nothing that would throw back in a different direction. In my unscientific testing if you take your hands off the wheel it will generally keep you within the lane. Nothing that would throw you in the opposite direction. That was 2017 model, I haven’t driven a newer one.

2019. Not arguing but I did have both hands on the wheel.

Steve, we're ok. I just re-read my post. To clarify-should have said "I crossed just over the lane line to avoid the tread." Did not completely cross into the lane to my right.

On the bright side, I missed the tread.

My company issued the sales team new RAV4's. They have lane departure warning and lane correction. I had to turn mine off. I was on the freeway in the number one lane the furthest to the left when I saw an object in my lane. I moved to the right without hitting my turn signal and the son of a gun jerked to the Left because I didn't put on my turn signal. Darn near put me into the center divider. I am not impressed. Anybody else have any issues with the so-called safety devices in these new vehicles?
Easily solved by using your blinker, especially if theirs a road hazard you want to inform the person behind you of... Smh as a commercial driver it's my biggest pet peeve.

Easily solved by using your blinker, especially if theirs a road hazard you want to inform the person behind you of... Smh as a commercial driver it's my biggest pet peeve.
he wasn't trying to change lanes. He just happened to run over the white lines and it jerked. A van was in front of him and saw the hazard right after the van passed it. Sometimes there's no time to hit the blinker. If you see someone swerve in front of you, you automatically take caution even if they didn't use the blinker

he wasn't trying to change lanes. He just happened to run over the white lines and it jerked. A van was in front of him and saw the hazard right after the van passed it. Sometimes there's no time to hit the blinker. If you see someone swerve in front of you, you automatically take caution even if they didn't use the blinker
To avoid a road hazard... And if your hands are on the steering wheel and you had time to jerk you had time to blink. I drive 150-350 daily. That excuse you don't have time means absolutely nothing to me. He didn't hit it, he had time.

I'm pretty sure a lot of us on here drive plenty of miles a day. Again, he wasn't changing lanes, therefore the blinker is out of the story. Read his post carefully, you have time

Thanks for reading the post.

This was an evasive move. i check my mirrors, especially in traffic, there was no one to my immediate right.

over the line is enough to collide with a vehicle that takes up all of the other lane...if you don't have enough time to stop for an object that hasn't moved, you are going too fast...I'm a trucker too and glad to have a dash cam...

It's funny how the actual rules of the road only apply to commercial drivers. For everyone else, they can make up rules until law enforcement and attorneys get involved. Show me the driver manual that say it's okay to switch lanes without signalling "when you have to" and you're free of any resulting accident liability...I'll wait.

I also ride a motorcycle, which easily fits in a blind spot. If you don't have time to signal, you definitely don't have time to make sure my bike isn't there.

To the original point, I don't like how some vehicles nudge the steering. Mine beeps, but I haven't noticed any steering correction.

It's funny how the actual rules of the road only apply to commercial drivers. For everyone else, they can make up rules until law enforcement and attorneys get involved. Show me the driver manual that say it's okay to switch lanes without signalling "when you have to" and you're free of any resulting accident liability...I'll wait.
I like that to. Let's argue why the rules don't apply to us. I honestly think all drivers should have to take a CDL class to get their license.

Also drivers like the ones defending his mistake... Are why I also have two dash cams on my Taco while working.

He was moving out of his lane illegally because he didn't see something in the road... You have to. Have to use your blinker. If you don't understand how driving works as a human who only operates a vehicle for luxury then shame on you. Blinkers literally save lives and you don't get to just overtake another lane... Even a little to avoid tread. If your hands are placed where they're supposed to be you can hit the blinker in either direction with turning the wheel... It can be done immediately. On a dime. Don't come here and tell me theirs no time. I do it all the time.

Actually, you're supposed to have some minimum time period between signalling and switching lanes, even though people rarely do it. If a child ran in front of my car without warning, and I can't stop in time, I'm probably gonna swerve without signalling. If I hit another car or anything else (besides the kid), I will be responsible for it. You have better chances if you're in the right lane and swerve on the shoulder, since nobody should be passing you on the shoulder.IMG_7498.jpg

Last edited:
Back