Re-gear with 33”s

858_tacoma_guy

I wanna regear my 2nd gen taco. I have 33”s but I have no idea how regearing works. Has anyone on here re-geared with 33”s? And if so was it worth it? And was there any performance difference?

I wanna regear my 2nd gen taco. I have 33”s but I have no idea how regearing works. Has anyone on here re-geared with 33”s? And if so was it worth it? And was there any performance difference?
The idea behind re gearing is to get the gear ration as close to stock. Ideally because you’ve put 35” or 40” tires on a truck that’s geared for 31” tires. When you add larger tires it is changing the ratio due to the longer rotation. This essentially increases the gear ratio. By putting 33” tires on you are not changing the gear ratio enough to warrant the cost to replace the gears.
Personally if you are ok with the small MPG hit and you don’t notice much of a performance decrease I’d save the money for other mods.
If you’ve got money to burn @whippersnapper02 gave you the next gear. 4:10 would get you closer to stock performance.

Last edited:
I was thinking about doing it because I’m getting 13mpg and should be getting 19. It would take 10 years with how I drive to pay for its self. Is it worth it... maybe. Haha.

I was thinking about doing it because I’m getting 13mpg and should be getting 19. It would take 10 years with how I drive to pay for its self. Is it worth it... maybe. Haha.

It might say you are getting 13mpg because the tires are bigger and the computer only calculates for the stock size tire. Sure, you won't get 19mpg but it shouldn't be as bad as 13.

It might say you are getting 13mpg because the tires are bigger and the computer only calculates for the stock size tire. Sure, you won't get 19mpg but it shouldn't be as bad as 13.
I had the Yaw reset for the lift and the PCM reset for the tires. Still get avg of 13.8mpg and that’s some combined. I’ll get 19 on a longer road trip if I’m going 60 the whole time though. :)

It’s better than the 12mpg I was getting before I did the resets. Still not where I’d like it to be.

I was getting about 13 MPG with 10 ply 285/70/17 switched back to 265s and average 18 MPG and a **** load more power. Truck would always hold gears way to long (auto) and always felt like I was pulling a loaded trailer.

But the 285s did look better [emoji45]

Shoulda gotten the matching V8 to go with it ...:D

CouldaWouldaShouldahadaV8-RickJohns.1of6.jpg~c200

Back