Rear diff fluid change

taco John

Hey guys, what tools would be needed to change the fluid on my rear diff. It's a limited slip differential. On an 08 Tacoma. And how much fluid would be needed. I don't have my owners Manuel at the moment.

Hey guys, what tools would be needed to change the fluid on my rear diff. It's a limited slip differential. On an 08 Tacoma. And how much fluid would be needed. I don't have my owners Manuel at the moment.
Get 4 qrts just in case.
Equa torque

75w90 NON SYNTHETIC

24mm 6 point socket
1/2" ratchet

Tq wrench is up to u

New washers is up to u as well.

Dump a qrt in, dump a tube of lsd additive (i dont care if the 75w90 says its for lsd diffs, add lsd additive). Then keep filling with the conventional 75w90 until it starts coming out of fill hole.

Let settle for 5 or so minutes, see if it's still topped off.

Should be about 3qrts, 4 is safe to have on hand in case its a little over, or u spill some.

Get 4 qrts just in case.
Equa torque

75w90 NON SYNTHETIC

24mm 6 point socket
1/2" ratchet

Tq wrench is up to u

New washers is up to u as well.

Dump a qrt in, dump a tube of lsd additive (i dont care if the 75w90 says its for lsd diffs, add lsd additive). Then keep filling with the conventional 75w90 until it starts coming out of fill hole.

Let settle for 5 or so minutes, see if it's still topped off.

Should be about 3qrts, 4 is safe to have on hand in case its a little over, or u spill some.
Why non synthetic? Just curious.

Why non synthetic? Just curious.
Ive seen alot of people complain of chatter when turning after synthetic use in a true lsd trd sport over the last 8 yrs. The newer brake assist (fake lsd) does not count as they are totally different.

Try it if u want.... then go drive in tight figure eights in a parking lot at low speed. If u have chatter, well there u go.

If ur lucky and dont have chatter, well there u go.

That said, i have NEVER in 8yrs seen a post about dino fluid causing chatter unless there was a clutchpack issue on a 2nd gen tacoma.

Ive seen alot of people complain of chatter when turning after synthetic use in a true lsd trd sport over the last 8 yrs. The newer brake assist (fake lsd) does not count as they are totally different.

Try it if u want.... then go drive in tight figure eights in a parking lot at low speed. If u have chatter, well there u go.

If ur lucky and dont have chatter, well there u go.

That said, i have NEVER in 8yrs seen a post about dino fluid causing chatter unless there was a clutchpack issue on a 2nd gen tacoma.
Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna go with the Toyota original LSD fluid.

Changed it, it went pretty well. I bought the fluid from the dealer and did it myself in my garage
Did u have an unopened bottle u can return?
What friction modifier?

Did u drive in some figure eights and check for chatter?

Did u have an unopened bottle u can return?
What friction modifier?

Did u drive in some figure eights and check for chatter?
No chatter, everything went smoothly. They put my vin number in their computer and showed all my trucks info and they went into the back and gave me the fluid. Did what you said, fill plug off first and then drain plug after. No noise nor chatter.

No chatter, everything went smoothly. They put my vin number in their computer and showed all my trucks info and they went into the back and gave me the fluid. Did what you said, fill plug off first and then drain plug after. No noise nor chatter.
Im curious what modifier toyota suggested for future reference.

How bad were the magnets?

Back