Regular or Synthetic Oil

Do you run Regular or Synthetic Oil?

• Regular Oil

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Synthetic Oil

Votes: 37 69.8%

• Total voters
The wife's 2013 4 Runner came with synthetic but my 2013 Taco came with regular Dino oil. I always change the original oil at 1K and I think I'll change the Taco over to synthetic after break in.

I use Valvoline 10W-40 in the engine, I know it calls for 5W-30 but I've always use 10W-40 in all my vehicles and never once had any engine problems. It's a little thicker so it gives better protection. Now on the gear oil I'm changing over to Royal Purple Synthetic 75W-90 from what I've been reading it seems to be the best out there. I have to see if I have any Valvoline 80W-90 left, if I do I'll use it up 1st. I have front & rear differential, transfer case and manual transmission to do, so what dino I have left will fill something and synthetic the rest. Next change will be all Royal Purple.

Bad idea for newer engines! New engines are being designed hand and hand with the oil manufactures. Toyota has a Japanese oil company called eneos that works with them. If you run too thick of an oil it can actually starve the engine of lube in critical places. Most of the 2013+ engines are specked from the factory with 0w oil. And they expect those engines to run that weight of oil for the life of the engine. Most newer cars have viscosity sensors to check oil life. Google eneos they are factory fill on most asian brands.

Bad idea for newer engines! New engines are being designed hand and hand with the oil manufactures. Toyota has a Japanese oil company called eneos that works with them. If you run too thick of an oil it can actually starve the engine of lube in critical places. Most of the 2013+ engines are specked from the factory with 0w oil. And they expect those engines to run that weight of oil for the life of the engine. Most newer cars have viscosity sensors to check oil life. Google eneos they are factory fill on most asian brands.

I will continue to use 10W-40 Dino. My engine is not a new engine it's 7 yrs old and when I bought it, it had that Toyota tick. Since changing it from 5W-30 to 10W-40 that tick is now gone. Engine runs smoother and now better protected against engine wear. The main reason they recommend 5W-30 is due to CAFE regulations from the federal government. Google (cafe regulations and oil viscosity). 5W-30 may increase fuel economy but at the cost of greater engine wear. I am not concerned with a 1/4 mile or 1/3 mile better mpg if my engine wears out by 100k. I look for longevity in the engine. A little thicker oil clings to the moving parts better than thinner oil in all temperature ranges. That translate to less engine wear. Besides, I put it in my 2000 PreRunner V6 for 12 years, never once had an engine problem. The climate I live in and driving conditions are such that the engine runs hot, a lot of stop & go traffic. The temp doesn't get below 20°F very often in winter and during the summer, days on end of around 100°F with high humidity. 10W-40 lubricates well in that climate. 5W-30 doesn't hold up to the high heat as well as 10W-40. I also asked the Master mechanic at Hendrick & Superior Toyota, they said it would be fine in this climate, better protected.

We can agree to disagree on this issue. It may work well in your climate but not here.

???

Would any of you hesitate on putting synthetic oil in a 2001 tacoma with 185,000 miles.. I am a new tacoma owner and just not sure if I should switch to synthetic with this many miles on the truck..

I read an article back some time that said you should not use synthetic for the first time on an older engine.

Doesn't matter. Some people claim synthetic oil causes leaks but really the leak was already there but the dino oil molecules didn't fit through it.

I agree with whippersnapper. If it leaks now, them no. If it doesn't now then I would. If it leaks oil after you run it, don't run it again.
I changed to synthetic at around 50,000 miles in my 02 Taco without any problems and I swear it felt like it helped my power at lower RPM's. Could have been my imagination but it felt like it.

Castrol synthetic edge 5/30. Either bosch or mobil 1 filter. Every12,000 miles. And the truck had 228,000 on it till it was totaled last month. No engine ping was a rock. 2007 v6 6 speed. Double cab.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 63
I'm curious to know what kind of oil my tacoma is using just picked it up last night! I've always used mobil 1 synthethic my dads 05 panthfinder only has 61,xxx miles and has been using mobil 1 purrrr very nice still strong as a bull !

I got free oil changes for 2 years 25k, good ol dino. When i start doing it myself when it isnt free anymore im a mobil 1 guy, used it in every vehicle ive had.

I have the same deal on my 2013. She's supercharged so I don't want to use conventional oil. I pay the price difference to my dealer for full synthetic.

Back