removing the engine

jdr3366

Went to dealer today for 70,000 service. They found a leak coming from the upper area of the engine. Something about aluminum rubbing aluminum and needs a new gasket??? and silicone??? Damn.

Cost to remove the engine ~$3000 plus parts, which they say should not be much (gasket??)

It will take the rest of the week to do the job.

Service says this is not common, no recall, might have occurred due to short trips. I make two each day (breakfast and lunch) of less than 10 miles round trip. I eat in the truck and keep the engine running.

Probably could be worse as I'm preparing to drive 2000 miles to California on Tuesday.

Could be worse. I had the engine removed from a Porsche once...$20,000 to do the job.

I'm so happy I have a reliable truck.

I went into the dealer's work area today, and the tech showed me the leak. The gasket is wet where the engine block attaches to the back of the fan...I think.

I was surprised at what a complicated job it is to remove the engine. The glove compartment was removed as well as the plastic seal along high bottom of the door frame.

Of course the tech found something else to replace. I don't know the name of the part. I just said to replace the part at $165.

Tech said the leak is because not enough sealant was used. Hmmm, I think I'll call Toyota and start a complaint.

Went to dealer today for 70,000 service. They found a leak coming from the upper area of the engine. Something about aluminum rubbing aluminum and needs a new gasket??? and silicone??? Damn.

Cost to remove the engine ~$3000 plus parts, which they say should not be much (gasket??)

It will take the rest of the week to do the job.

Service says this is not common, no recall, might have occurred due to short trips. I make two each day (breakfast and lunch) of less than 10 miles round trip. I eat in the truck and keep the engine running.

Probably could be worse as I'm preparing to drive 2000 miles to California on Tuesday.

Could be worse. I had the engine removed from a Porsche once...$20,000 to do the job.

I'm so happy I have a reliable truck.
The fact its aluminum rubbing aluminum sounds somewhat fishy to me. I've heard of some older gen3 tacoma's developing a coolant leak back there that requires the engine to be removed. This had something to do with the way the coolant lines were connected between the heads.

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind.

The aluminum statement came from the service manger. Again, no aluminum involved based on what the tech showed me.

The tech showed me a leak as I described above . Did not see any hose(s) involved.

I'm going to wait till I get the bill before taking action.

You did not mention what fluid was leaking oil , coolant washer fluid ?that totally seems like a factory screwup issue to me ! I had a '98 f-150 that leaked oil from passenger side head and shorted out starter . Come to find out there was a burr in the aluminum head that stuck out and wore the head gasket causing a leak.so ford said it was a silent recall only if u noticed it so it cost me 500 bucks for a 2000 dollar head replacement.they knew about but only did something about it you called them out on it .huh ? Big companies suck.thanx for listening and good luck .fight them to the bone! I got rid of it after it got fixed and bought my '03 tundra and drove it13 years :)

Sorry about the delay. I have to send the receipt to my son-in-law. He says that based on my description, which may not be that accurate, the engine did not have to be removed. But let's wait for his assessment.

Son-in-law owns Vendetta Racing and LaFortune Motor Sports. He knows his stuff. Won the Baja 1000 two times. And does a great job caring fo my daughter and three grandchildren. Do you get the impression that I'm proud of him?

Last edited:
Back