Replacing 2'' spacers with Bilstein 5100s???

Ray51

I'm in the middle of repalcing my stock Bilstein struts on my 08 Tacoma(prerunner 2 wheel drive). Took off the struts to have the shop swap springs onto Monroe Reflex. The guy at the shop pointed out to me that he would not recommed the Monroe over the Bilsteins...Ok I did some looking around and I cant find the Bilsteins in stock. I starting reading the threads on ride height and comments about not using spacers. Now I want to know what I need to do to run 5100s with the stock coils...Keep in mind I cut the bolts to fit the 2'' preload spacer on the truck. Would I need an alignment with the new 5100s?

Last edited:
Have you checked http://downsouthmotorsports.com/ for the 5100's? They usually have the best prices. At least for Tacomaworld members but I think they changed that. But of course they will have to be shipped and it sounds like you need them now.

If you're wanting to keep about the 2 inches of lift then you'll have to decide which setting. Set them at 1.75 (next to the highest) should give about 1 3/4" lift and at the top setting would be about 2 1/2 inches. This is with the stock coils that is. And yes you will need an alignment.

I have the 5100's on mine at 1.75 and it rides great. I have heard at the top setting they will be stiff though. Good luck!

I meant that I couldnt find the stock Bilsteins that came with the truck anywhere in the LA area. But know that I have read about the neagatives on the spacers, I have decided to go with the 5100s with the stock springs. But my questions is I'm not sure what was bolts were cut to in the install of the spacer(if they were the stock bolts of the truck). So from what I understand is to takeout the 2'' spacer, install the 5100s and set it at 1.75 setting, alignment and that should be good..right?

Last edited:
The bolts should be longer I would guess depending on the type of spacer you have. Not sure if your are asking if you should cut the bolts down or what though?

Back