Replacing Seat sesnors?

Peter Chopelas

Hi All, I hope you can help.

new to this forum, but not new at all to self wrenching on toyotas, or other old cars.

My daughter just bought a low mile 2010 Tacoma (2wd) w/TRD package. the previous owner had removed the bench seat and put in the taller bucket seats from the 4 door version of this truck, that sits taller and is more comfortable. My daughter needs the better seats because she can not see over the dash board in the stock bench, which the seller no longer has. but they did not bother to change over the seat belts, so the shoulder belt in the truck will not clip to the seat belt clips in the seats. And is there a way rig up the seat sensors for the airbag system?

My question is for those of you experienced with installing custom seats: will the bucket type seat belt clip work in the bench seat equipped tacoma? or can the bench seat seat belt be adapted to the bucket seat clip by swapping it out?

Also, the airbags will not activate without the seat sensor connected. apparently the electrical connector is different, so the airbag system will not function with the bucket seats installed. can the sensors in the bucket seat be connected to the wire harness for the airbag system?

seems that should work since the sensor is just an on/off switch. where my daughter lives they have to have an annual safety and emissions inspection, which I assume means they will scan for airbag operation, which will come up non working. so I need to figure out how to make the bucket seat work in the Tacoma that originally was equipped with a bench seat. are there any wire diagrams for the seat sensor system available on line? so I can compare the systems.

Any guidance or assistance would be appreciated, before I go to a wrecking yard and start tearing open the seats I would like to know what I should be getting. seems to me it should not be too difficult to get it connected up. I need to make the seat belts work, and to get the sensor system in the bucket seat to work with the airbag system in a bench equipped Tacoma.

thank you.

Last edited:
Hi All, I hope you can help.

new to this forum, but not new at all to self wrenching on toyotas, or other old cars.

My daughter just bought a low mile 2010 Tacoma (2wd) w/TRD package. the previous owner had removed the bench seat and put in the taller bucket seats from the 4 door version of this truck, that sits taller and is more comfortable. My daughter needs the better seats because she can not see over the dash board in the stock bench, which the seller no longer has. but they did not bother to change over the seat belts, so the shoulder belt in the truck will not clip to the seat belt clips in the seats. And is there a way rig up the seat sensors for the airbag system?

My question is for those of you experienced with installing custom seats: will the bucket type seat belt clip work in the bench seat equipped tacoma? or can the bench seat seat belt be adapted to the bucket seat clip by swapping it out?

Also, the airbags will not activate without the seat sensor connected. apparently the electrical connector is different, so the airbag system will not function with the bucket seats installed. can the sensors in the bucket seat be connected to the wire harness for the airbag system?

seems that should work since the sensor is just an on/off switch. where my daughter lives they have to have an annual safety and emissions inspection, which I assume means they will scan for airbag operation, which will come up non working. so I need to figure out how to make the bucket seat work in the Tacoma that originally was equipped with a bench seat. are there any wire diagrams for the seat sensor system available on line? so I can compare the systems.

Any guidance or assistance would be appreciated, before I go to a wrecking yard and start tearing open the seats I would like to know what I should be getting. seems to me it should not be too difficult to get it connected up. I need to make the seat belts work, and to get the sensor system in the bucket seat to work with the airbag system in a bench equipped Tacoma.

thank you.
The trd models did not come with a bench to my knowledge

Back