Residential Window Tinting?

WiskyT

This is the only forum I currently belong to, and this is the "Off Topic" section, so here goes:

Does anyone know about window films applied to the OUTSIDE of the windows on a home? This would be to reduce the amount of solar heating during the summer. The backside of my house is exposed to the sun full strength all afternoon and into the evening and it is just relentless. There are 14 windows including the French doors.

How effective are these films? How much does it cost to have them installed including materials? Do they last?

My home was built in 2004 and has double pane windows but I doubt they have any special "E" rating other than whatever the code was at the time. I don't want an interior film because they make the light pass back through the double pane which causes the window itself to become overheated and fail.

Thanks in advance for any help.

There are specific films for dual panes which will not cause windows to pop when used on the inside.

As for cost, it depends on the film, and more importantly the installer. Our last place we had single panes and i dont remember the total cost, sorry.

Back