Retained Value

efinkens1

Which model and configuration will hold the most value over to time? I'm feeling pretty good about my '17 OR DCLB, no tech package.

Which model and configuration will hold the most value over to time? I'm feeling pretty good about my '17 OR DCLB, no tech package.
It’s all relative. They all hold good resale value.
It only takes one buyer when you are selling. If the truck is rare you might get a little more. Most of the increases resale value comes with condition, mileage and mods. You will never get the money you put in back on a vehicle. Mods will usually decrease the value of the vehicle.
The Off-road double cab long bed is a little more rare than most of the other models. Keep the mileage low the mods to a minimum and the truck clean and you will get a better return in the end.
I’d enjoy it, drive it and have fun.

Like OR17TRD said, miles low and near original and it won’t take a niche buyer to be interested.
Older Tacoma’s resell is insane. Look at any gen one out there that has low miles and a good body and see how much it sells for over blue book.

Like OR17TRD said, miles low and near original and it won’t take a niche buyer to be interested.
Older Tacoma’s resell is insane. Look at any gen one out there that has low miles and a good body and see how much it sells for over blue book.
Thousands easy.

Excellent advice. I like to keep em stock. Ive only added a bedstep, cargo glide and roll up tonneau. All removable. Oh. I have a slight lift, too but I like it.View attachment 14291

Last edited:
In July, I traded in my 2003 double cab off road in a spur of the moment when I bought my 2017 DC OR. They asked me how much I wanted for it and I told them $7500. They instantly said yes and I instantly regretted not asking for more. It was in decent shape. No dents and garage kept with 200k miles.

In July, I traded in my 2003 double cab off road in a spur of the moment when I bought my 2017 DC OR. They asked me how much I wanted for it and I told them $7500. They instantly said yes and I instantly regretted not asking for more. It was in decent shape. No dents and garage kept with 200k miles.

That hurts. You probably could have pulled an easy $10k or maybe even more.

I had to look at what they were selling for. One like yours DC OR gen one with similar miles is holding around $11,000 low end in decent shape and up to $16-18k for one in good shape.
Still though, figuring you can take about $3-4K off of private party sales and dealer resell value as to what a dealer will give you for a trade you did alright. If they do give you more it’s usually out of a bump sticker or something to make you feel like you’re doing better with your trade.
The only way to get max money out of your vehicle is to privately sell it and wait until the right bidder comes along.
I’ve never seen a truck hold value like the Tacoma’s and pre ‘95 1/2 Toyota Pickups.

They made money. You got what you wanted. No regrets.

I had to look at what they were selling for. One like yours DC OR gen one with similar miles is holding around $11,000 low end in decent shape and up to $16-18k for one in good shape.
Still though, figuring you can take about $3-4K off of private party sales and dealer resell value as to what a dealer will give you for a trade you did alright. If they do give you more it’s usually out of a bump sticker or something to make you feel like you’re doing better with your trade.
The only way to get max money out of your vehicle is to privately sell it and wait until the right bidder comes along.
I’ve never seen a truck hold value like the Tacoma’s and pre ‘95 1/2 Toyota Pickups.
When I was looking to buy my 2017 I had my 2007 Tundra 130k Miles on CL for $24k. The dealer offered me 13k trade I said nope I’ve got 2 people that want to buy it right now for 24k. Showed them my CL post and emails of the parties that where interested. They came up to 22k from 13k. We made a deal. I figured the people on CL either wouldn’t have bought it or would have wanted it for less than 22k.

When I was looking to buy my 2017 I had my 2007 Tundra 130k Miles on CL for $24k. The dealer offered me 13k trade I said nope I’ve got 2 people that want to buy it right now for 24k. Showed them my CL post and emails of the parties that where interested. They came up to 22k from 13k. We made a deal. I figured the people on CL either wouldn’t have bought it or would have wanted it for less than 22k.

Wow. That’s a dramatic increase. Either way you won.

Wow. That’s a dramatic increase. Either way you won.
I know I was shocked when they came back with that. It was clean. It was bagged in the rear had a 2” lift, 20” wheels, AFE CAI, blacked out windows, all weather mats, rampage running boards, 3M on the front clip, Bakflip G2, crew max, Limited, JBL, Nav, front and rear sonar, TRDOR. Thing had a love seat in the back. Miss the cab room. 894373FB-0310-4462-BE51-33F356341E93.jpeg

I know I was shocked when they came back with that. It was clean. It was bagged in the rear had a 2” lift, 20” wheels, AFE CAI, blacked out windows, all weather mats, rampage running boards, 3M on the front clip, Bakflip G2, crew max, Limited, JBL, Nav, front and rear sonar, TRDOR. Thing had a love seat in the back. Miss the cab room. View attachment 14299
Great looking Tundra. RenderedContent-8E04E5BE-9727-4208-9B56-335D34FE4893.JPG
This was my last (ever) Chevrolet.
Yeah. I definitely miss the cab room of a full size but love the overall size of the Taco a lot more.

Back