Review: 3M Headlight Restoration Kit (with before/after pics)

EricTheRed

Pantless...
My headlights were bad. Like...really fuzzy lookin'. The light output was suffering tremendously (even with Sylvania Silverstar Ultras) and they generally looked like crap.

I attempted the ubiquitous toothpaste method, but all that left me with was gingivitis free headlights that smelled vaguely of mint.

I decided on the 3M Lens Renewal Kit because it doesn't involve any sort of hand scrubbing/sanding/polishing. No my friends...it uses your everyday household drill.

The instructions are well laid out and easy to read, and failing that 3M has provided a YouTube tutorial for the tl;dr folks:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t1RBw0IGXA"]3Mâ„¢ Headlight Lens Restoration System - YouTube[/ame]

My only suggestion here is to take your sweet time! My first headlight took me approximately half an hour. It certainly cleared it up, but was still a tad hazy. The second headlight I was meticulous about; one hour later and it was as close to factory as these headlights are ever gonna get.

The most important thing to remember is that when restoring headlights, you're effectively sanding off any UV protection your lenses may have had when they rolled off the factory floor. Road debris may scratch up your headlights, but it's the sunlight that really does a number on them. This kit includes a finisher/sealant, but I haven't found any reviews as to how well it works at protecting headlights that aren't on garage queens. Instead of applying a tried and true sealant, I've left the supplied goop on there and will report back in a few months to see how well it works.

...and on to the pics.

Left:
Before-AfterRight02.jpg

Right:
Before-AfterLeft.jpg

Seriously...when I turned on my headlights for the first time afterward it was like I had just upgraded to HIDs!

Thanks for posting this, Eric! :) The headlights on my gf's '04 4Runner are terrible! This is a must-do real soon!

No problem! Another really great thing with this particular kit is that it's good for at least two sets of headlights. 3M includes eight sanding pads (4x500 grit, 4x800 grit), a super fine finishing pad, and a tremendously reusable buffing disc. As long as you don't let crap build up in your sanding discs, you can really stretch out their usefulness!

That turned out nice! I tried on mine awhile back and used a turtle wax kit and it didn't work so well. It lasted like a month then came back :( I'll have to give this a try

That turned out nice! I tried on mine awhile back and used a turtle wax kit and it didn't work so well. It lasted like a month then came back :( I'll have to give this a try

you gotta put some sort of sealer on it to last. I think they don't include it so you by it again lol

or you put on clear vinyl

^^ Yup.

While they haven't fogged/yellowed so far, I did notice that it is REALLY easy to scratch the surface. We got a tiny dump of snow and I brushed the lights off with my glove...shortly thereafter I noticed a bunch of scratches moving in the same direction that I brushed! I'm thinking clear vinyl is the way to go...

Appears my headlights have this problem on just the top part before they curve down. Something to add to my "to do list"

Attachments

• S1050388.jpg
    S1050388.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 21
  • S1050389.jpg
    S1050389.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 21
Back