Rotating tires

jdr3366

I went to the dealer yesterday, and they rotated the tires. I have some white paint on the right side tires. After the dealer was done, I still have the same tires on the right.

Maybe they rotaed from to back. But I expected to have them rotated in a crossover pattern.

Does anybody have experience with this? What is the correct way rotate tires? Is front to back normal?

If I remember correctly, rear tires go straight forward and forward tires swap sides and go rearward. Sounds like they did not do what they were supposed to.

I only do front to back, and that is if its a vehicle even that can be done on.
Many tires are even directional nowadays on top of it all.
On my pickup truck I will eventually swap front to back, not side to side.
My cars are not able to be swapped around at all. Tire rotation is quickly becoming another thing that is dying.

Interesting discussion. Thanks for the input.

I guess I should add that after looking at the service invoice, rotating tires was not on the list of things for the dealer to do.

He spoke about it, along with a lot of other stuff, but probably said it was not necessary.

Most people on this site will probably say that I shouldn't listen to all the things the dealer says to check or to fix.

But frankly, I'm old, got the money, not handy, don't have an interest to learn, and (believe it or not) actually trust this dealer. Yes, that's crazy, but the first 4 are facts.

So, there you go.

Last time I took my truck in for tire rotation, i forgot to put the wheel lock thing in the center cup holder.

When I got home I thought about it, and it was still in the console where I left it under a bunch of stuff.

They either didn't rotate them or they have a master wheel lock thing that will work with any factory lock set ups.

In the owners manual the rotation is front to back and back to front. No crossing.

I was actually surprised to see this. The Taco is the first vehicle in 40 years that I have NOT moved the rear tires straight forward and criss-crossed the fronts back to the rear. I had to fight my natural instinct to do this-old habits are hard to break. Once it's time to replace the tires, if I go with something other than OEM I may go back to my old rotation pattern.

Front to back & back to front because of the radial belts, once it gets rolling in one direction if you put them on the other side the belt will start to knot up so to speak and become out round.

Yes, JfJeff, but what about the comment by Woo714 above about the radial belts?

Back