Rust recall

lovemytaco35

So I had my frame inspected this week on my 2015 Tacoma. It received a passing grade, meaning no rot or metal deterioration. Just lots of rust. I qualify for the spray sealant coating that Toyota is supplying. At this point, my dealer has not yet got the training for its service employees to apply the coating. Next month I’m told. We’ll see.

The service consultant told me that Toyota will warranty the frame 10 years from the date I purchased it. So I have 5 more years...living in the Northeast that doesn’t give me a whole lot of faith that these frames will last. Asking the dealer why there’s even an issue with the frame considering the first generation and the problems there, you’d figure they would have learned from that and applied more quality to the second generation frames. He didn’t have an answer. Neither did the person I talked with at Toyota. I’ve spent a lot of money on additions and upgrades on my truck, with the intent of keeping it for a long time. I only have 63,000 miles on it, and at this point I’m wondering if the frame will give out before everything else. Not feeling great about owning a Toyota at this moment.

I can tell you once rust takes hold, you either need to eliminate it and do whatever you can to prevent it from coming back, or you can try to encapsulate it hoping for the best. Best is taking action to prevent it before it ever happens. I made it a religious practice to fluid film my 2001 tundra from the start, and every year there after. From what i've seen of tacoma frames if you have rust outside on the frames surface, its twice as bad on the insides.

So I had my frame inspected this week on my 2015 Tacoma. It received a passing grade, meaning no rot or metal deterioration. Just lots of rust. I qualify for the spray sealant coating that Toyota is supplying. At this point, my dealer has not yet got the training for its service employees to apply the coating. Next month I’m told. We’ll see.

The service consultant told me that Toyota will warranty the frame 10 years from the date I purchased it. So I have 5 more years...living in the Northeast that doesn’t give me a whole lot of faith that these frames will last. Asking the dealer why there’s even an issue with the frame considering the first generation and the problems there, you’d figure they would have learned from that and applied more quality to the second generation frames. He didn’t have an answer. Neither did the person I talked with at Toyota. I’ve spent a lot of money on additions and upgrades on my truck, with the intent of keeping it for a long time. I only have 63,000 miles on it, and at this point I’m wondering if the frame will give out before everything else. Not feeling great about owning a Toyota at this moment.

I had a 2008 with 229,000 miles that passed the inspection and they just sprayed it. I just got rid of that truck this week and bought a new on and the frame was still in great shape.

Depends where you live when owning these trucks. You live in the salt belt an untreated frame is likely to be toast in less than 10 years. Seen pictures of taco truck frames from florida and the southwest still look brand new in that time.

Back