Service Dog Information

B.C.

I've been doing a little research as to how I can legally make Rupert, and probably Lambo in the future when he grows up and matures, into service dogs.
For anyone who is considering this, it's very easy to do, at least in Canada.
Going to guess that the rules are similar in other countries. If you have a legitimate heslth reason, and a letter from your doctor, you can do a simple form online, and for about $200 get the stuff needed, including the vest for your dog.
Since I am diagnosed with SEVERE PTSD its easy, and Rupert is so well behaved, he meets the requirements of a service dog. My younger dog wouldn't yet, but as he matures, I am sure someday he will be able to as well.
In Canada go to servicedogscanada.org for more information, and google search will probably produce something similar for all of you in other countries.

I take Rupert everywhere already, but not legally, and occasionally someone complains. Lamborghini will be a while yet, he is pretty wild, but just a young pup. Danes are smart, and they mature fast, and I try to expose him to lots of situations, so he learns to be socially adjusted, not easily startled, and in time calmness will come.
Rupert is what I call "Bomb Proof" he doesn't get bothered by much, and while he is protective of me, he doesn't have any really bad manners. Traffic, loud noises, people, and stuff don't bother him.

Gordo is a service pup.
He goes pretty much everywhere with me but we usually don't go anywhere that matters. Most places we eat and hang out are dog friendly anyway. And he's never worn the vest. Lol
The couple of handfuls of times where I needed it, the card was enough.
20200617_205610.jpg20181122_102617.jpg

Very cool Crawdad.

Most places have been cool with Rupert going in, but in the last year there was two businesses, Tim hortons, but they suck anyway, and Staples. I used to spend a lot of money at the Staples in kelowna, after that I never went back, and switched to a different office supply store.

Here in the US, vesys are not required and it's illegal for people to ask if the dog is a service animal.

Not here, and a few people are real jerks.
Walked into a book store about July or August 2019 though, and the staff fed him dog biscuits, and got him a bowl of water, they were even hugging him, asked all sorts of questions. When i was leaving they said please return soon.
Went back in November while doing some Christmas shopping, they all remembered both of our names, I was impressed.

Last edited:
That's awesome Martin! More people need to be accepting. Problem is, we have a bunch of people who abuse the fact that you cant ask if it's a service dog. And now everybody and their sister have "Emotional support" animals.

That's awesome Martin! More people need to be accepting. Problem is, we have a bunch of people who abuse the fact that you cant ask if it's a service dog. And now everybody and their sister have "Emotional support" animals.

For me, he truly is, I miss him a lot, and only been gone since Tuesday. And when I am out, crowds make me anxious, really really anxious. When Rupert is with me, its about a quarter as bad.

Back