Shocks for my friends tacoma

dereky83

Hi guys, I from the 4runner forum so know you guys can give great help for my friend with her tacoma. She has a 2005 TRD Offroad. She wanted a lift but didn't want to spen dthe money for a toytec coils over or adjustable bilsteins which is a commen setup with 4runners. She only had the money for the dayster 2.5" spacer lift. I installed it last week, all seems good.
A shop suggest she might need new shocks so now she is thinking of getting new shcoks.

What do you suggest to use with the spacer lift, does bilstein have one that works well for that? Or a biktstien to use with the original coil?

She does some pretty decent offroading and drivees it decently hard. She has 195,000km on the original shocks.

Last edited:
Bilstein 5100 shocks is what a lot of people on here run great shock for the price. eBay has some going for 199.99 for a pair.

Last edited:
You can use the stock coils. You preload them to get your lift so they do wear out quicker. How quickly? No one can tell.

Does this make for a really stiff ride? The other option is a 5100 that is not hiegth adjustable and reassemble it with the existing coil and use the spacer as the lift. Maybe won't get as uch shock travel but don't want to make the truck stiffer, it already rides quite stiff.

Thanks guys.

Preloading the coil will make the ride stiffer but the valving of the 5100s compensates for some of it. The ride isn't unbearable though. Problem with the top plate spacer is that they move the whole assembly down away from the bump stop l and moving down also increases leverage on the shock itself. This happens:

tapatalk_1369245338415_zpsf5e45a90.jpg

And some people say a spacer is fine if you're just using it for on road use, well if you hit a pot hole at 50 miles an hour with a spacer lift that's what's guna happen also ^^

Looking at prices it is worth spending a tad more on 5100s. Why buy a pricey truck only to cheap out on the lift?

So she is better off removing the spacer and adding longer 5100's to the existing coil to gain the lift? Or am i lost. She won't spend extra money for toytec ultimate or coilovers.

So she is better off removing the spacer and adding longer 5100's to the existing coil to gain the lift? Or am i lost. She won't spend extra money for toytec ultimate or coilovers.

The 5100 isn't longer. It has an adjustable collar under the spring. When you raise the collar it gives you lift. She will get her lift without the spacer. Or if she really wants to keep the spacer she can buy any shock for the truck from the parts store. Either way the assembly will need to be taken to a shop with a spring compressor or you can rent one.

Back