Shudder at take off

New to the group - Been noticing a shudder from take off past couple weeks(not at higher speeds just from stop to take off). Have thoughts it may be carrier bearing or u joints as I’ve been told by lots of people. Had 1 person say torque converter but it doesn’t do it past take off. Also have had my tranny fluid done about 20k ago. What’re you guys thoughts? TIA.

a relative has an '11 single cab with odd clunky noises at 77k now
no carrier bearing such as yours to stress over
but there is a clunk sometimes putting into R then backing, stopping, then clunk into D

it could be the rear joint but IDK
and its a bit costly to get resolved :confused:

New to the group - Been noticing a shudder from take off past couple weeks(not at higher speeds just from stop to take off). Have thoughts it may be carrier bearing or u joints as I’ve been told by lots of people. Had 1 person say torque converter but it doesn’t do it past take off. Also have had my tranny fluid done about 20k ago. What’re you guys thoughts? TIA.
If its not the torque converter, it's likely in the driveshaft....check all u-joints, and the carrier bearing.

Replacing U-joints is not difficult nor expensive. If you have DIY skills. The joints from Dana/Spicer cost about $25/ea from RockAuto. I'm sure NAPA has them too for a similar price.

I did all 5 U-joints and Carrier Bearing on my '06 Gen2 rattle free Tacoma for about $150.

Generally, "clunks" when shifting from R-D or D-R is a bad U-joint. Another symptom is a shudder on downshift like when stopping.

Iowa dealer quoted nearly 500$ to replace Ujoint on the rear of relatives '11 single cab
found that to be a bit pricey and exactly how involving is it to driveway it
what special tools are needed, if any?

No special tools.

Ratchet, sockets, torque wrench, press or a vise (or hammer in a pinch).

i watched a uTube video on the procedure
.... shall have to watch it yet again

i have no vise but do have a 20-ton press

Yep. You have everything that is needed.

A helper to manage the opposite end of the shaft while you manipulate the end under the press is valuable.

Back