Skid plates

adrian24

I’m looking to get some skid plates for my truck and was trying to decide on 3/16” steel plate or the 1/4” aluminum plate. Any information would be appreciated on which you prefer and why. For me, my mission isn’t that of hardcore rock crawling, but of more trail riding and back country driving. Plus I’d be camping with it. The price difference is about $160 with aluminum being more expensive for the front, transmission and transfer case skid plate.

Aluminum will last longer because it doesn’t rust but the steel would be stronger. Both have their benefits.
Post pics or links of the ones you are looking at.

I got the full steel kit from rci. Go steel imo and as for rust make sure to clean and repaint if necessary, with rustoleum. With some maintenance your stuff will last longer, ignore it and it wont...

1/16th smaller steel will be stronger, I’m sure aluminum would be fine for your application. They’ll both protect your buttom stuff. What one are you leaning more towards?

I was leaning towards steel but I wasn’t sure how much of a difference 42lbs. would make. This is my first truck so I’m pretty new to all of this.

If you plan on wheeling, aluminum will tear. I’d get a steel front skid and call it a day. The other ones aren’t realy needed unless you are rock crawling on jagged stuff.

Been wheeling for years and had an issue at first then learned how to wheel properly. Also I don’t rock crawl.
I agree with you, rock crawling=skid plates, it depends what you want to do with the rig. I plan on going in to unmanned territory so you never know what you come against..[emoji111]

Back