Smart key push button start advice

slapshot

I have a 2011 sr5 taco 2wd that im considering trading in for a 2018 sr5 or trd 4x4 dc lb but im not sure about the durability of the smart key push button start feature. Ive never had it or used it. Id appreciate any info about it. Thsnks

I have a 2011 sr5 taco 2wd that im considering trading in for a 2018 sr5 or trd 4x4 dc lb but im not sure about the durability of the smart key push button start feature. Ive never had it or used it. Id appreciate any info about it. Thsnks

change the battery in the fob every three years.

Welcome to the forum.
The push button start has been around for so many years now I wouldn’t worry about the durability. It’s like any mechanical/electrical part, they can wear out. But there are no real issues with the Toyota.

Welcome to the forum.
The push button start has been around for so many years now I wouldn’t worry about the durability. It’s like any mechanical/electrical part, they can wear out. But there are no real issues with the Toyota.

Thanks

My work truck has a key and every freakin time I get in the taco I stab at the dash I'm tempted to put a dummy ignition switch just so I can still go through the motions! WTF:eek:
Hahaha! I'd probably be the same way. Every time I drive wifey's car I stomp my left foot on the floor and throw it in neutral going down the road. [emoji23]

Forget keys.

Has anybody ever had the start button fail them?

just had to return a Nissan rental car because the fob battery was weak, it generated an error message, but finally did start the car,if the fob was held to the button....same drill as Toyota specifies.

Haven’t had it fail. I love it. I wish it was proximity lock though. If walking away with the key made it lock that would be nice.
That and being able to have the vehicle running, lock it with the fob and walk away. Like on cold mornings when you want to warm the truck have it locked up and stay in the house until your ready to leave.

Forget keys.

Has anybody ever had the start button fail them?
Hasn't failed me once and I actually reviewed the pushbutton start before I got my '17 TRD and couldn't find anyone having problems. Seems like its been available for years on other makes/models also with good results/reviews.

Haven’t had it fail. I love it. I wish it was proximity lock though. If walking away with the key made it lock that would be nice.
That and being able to have the vehicle running, lock it with the fob and walk away. Like on cold mornings when you want to warm the truck have it locked up and stay in the house until your ready to leave.
I would love that. It’s stupid you can’t lock it with eh fob while it’s running.
Now, when I start mine to let it warm up......I shut the door and walk away and it beeps 3 times and locks the doors while running.......when I was leaving work and stopped at the local pump-n-dump to get a coffee for the way home I left it running......got out......shut the door......there's 3 beeps and it locks all the doors with it running.......came back out......touched the back of the driver's handle and you can hear the doors unlock. It'll do what you guys are describing.

Back