So what are Tacoma owner's thoughts on the newer 2016 Tacoma?

I have a 2016 TR D off-road extra cab with a long bed. I am in the process of having Toyota take it back and claiming it as a lemon. I have been without my truck almost an entire month due to problems and only have 6000 miles on it. It's too bad because I absolutely love the looks, the ride and the feel of the truck but the transmission problems render this truck useless for me and my business. When they did the update for my transmission it just created another problem. The dealer told me they have done everything they can for me and to take it up with corporate. I think I am going to get into a forerunner and skip all the drama with the new motor and transmission. I know what Toyota did, they Tried to add a six speed transmission so they can get better gas mileage amounts on the window sticker. However, if the truck fails to use the six gear it's not really getting 23 miles to gallon on the highway now is it? They should have left the old motor in it kept it a five speed transmission. I can afford the gas even if it gets 10 mpg, but if the truck has a six gear then it better damn well use that gear when traveling on the highway. It's definitely the nicest vehicle I have ever owned unfortunately it just isn't work as it was designed. Even if the transmission Would shift into six gear which it isn't, I have never had a vehicle upshift and downshift more than this vehicle does on a road trip. It actually gets under my skin and makes me hate driving it on the highway. If you just drive around town for the most part, you will never recognize these issues. Maybe the 2017 is better? I just know after all the crap I have been through with this truck, I am completely over being a Tacoma Owner. Good luck, i am stoked for those of you who are loving their 2016 Taco with no problems. I would also skip the Entune radio if possible, it's the dumbest thing in the whole world… It will let you see the first few contacts in your phone numbers list but won't let you scroll through the whole thing because apparently after 15 contact numbers it becomes dangerous LOL ! It also will not let you scroll through all of your preset stations on Pandora because it figures after 20 or so stations it also becomes too dangerous to scroll through more. It is a complete joke and there is no reason to limit a driver from being able to explore all of their preset channels on Pandora or their contacts on their phone. Who comes up with this stupid ****? And how the hell do they still have a job?

Last edited:
So what are Tacoma owner's thoughts on the newer 2016 Tacoma? I did not test drive one yet, however I'm sure it's a good truck. However by just sitting in some of them at the car shows or at the dealer, I see the truck does not have a tacticle handlebar on the inside of the truck on the driver's side as it does on the passenger side. It's something I could do without but I think should be an option. Also, I think the parking brake should be by the foot pedals and not on the console, makes it feel like you're in a smaller vehicle. Also the console box is smaller. Thoughts anyone?
Let's see, I'll tell you what I've got going on with my 2016 Tacoma Limited. Yesterday it shut down. Sounded like I had driven over a bicycle. It then would not start. It has been towed to my dealer. Weather stripping is peeling away on one of the doors. The cap on the back is the worst design ever.

At first I was not too keen on the front end lines. Kind of reminded me of timber rattlers face markings. But it's growing on me.

I have 2016 4X4 Access Cab. I get 15.8 mpg combined. Along with poor mpg is the crappy Entune App on my Samsung S5 and a really bad wind noise from the doors that the dealership says is the ports to let air into the cab. Three issues. Poor mpg, wind noise (Toyota should fix these) and a bad app.

ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1484584329.986100.jpg

I had the interim fix applied and it helped a lot with the wind noise. Today they applied the complete fix as is installed on the 2017 Tacoma. They replaced the front door seals and replaced the rubber windshield side moldings with a plastic molding. We will see if it solves the reed type noise.

My TRD Sport, 4 dr, 4wd averages 20 mpg. I drive a 130 mile RT that includes multi-lane hiway and mountain roads. I try to stay at least 10 mph over the speed limit which means 75 or better for 40 miles each way and 55 to 70 on the remaining mountain roads.

So far I'm undecided although I've got less than 200 miles on it. If I can get familiar with the entune, get to the steering wheel buttons, setup syncing with iPhone 6 it could grow on me. I'm having issues concentrating on other things till this is done.
It will take a while to break in the new engine and tranny. It takes 2,000 miles or so to break in a new car.

Sooo happy I bought the 2015 and did not wait for the 2016!!
Did you go from a Ranger to your Toyota? That's what I did. I had my Ranger (2001 6 cylinder) for over 15 years. Got a lot of use out of it but then everything fell apart at once it got close to the 150,000 mile mark. I had a $4k truck with $5k of problems.

Sooo happy I bought the 2015 and did not wait for the 2016!!
I hear that! I chose a 2015 TRD Sport strictly because of the engine. I think Toyota really messed up putting in a 3.5L after the 4.0L proved itself year after year. My buddy's 2017 was shifting all over the place and was driving him crazy. He made several trips back to the dealer, and all they did was check the fluid level. When that didn't help, they drained the fluid and replaced it. Still didn't help. I checked with my local dealer, and they had received a service bulletin on that very problem. He told that to his dealer, and they said they knew nothing about it. He had them check with Toyota, and sure enough, they were informed of the bulletin. They ended up ordering a new chip for his transmission, and it made all the difference in the world. Amazing what you can learn from one dealer to another.

I hear that! I chose a 2015 TRD Sport strictly because of the engine. I think Toyota really messed up putting in a 3.5L after the 4.0L proved itself year after year. My buddy's 2017 was shifting all over the place and was driving him crazy. He made several trips back to the dealer, and all they did was check the fluid level. When that didn't help, they drained the fluid and replaced it. Still didn't help. I checked with my local dealer, and they had received a service bulletin on that very problem. He told that to his dealer, and they said they knew nothing about it. He had them check with Toyota, and sure enough, they were informed of the bulletin. They ended up ordering a new chip for his transmission, and it made all the difference in the world. Amazing what you can learn from one dealer to another.
I am having a similar battle they did an update for the transmission but it did not fix the issue. Is there anyway to get more info from your friend about this chip for the transmission. My local car dealer a bunch of "D" Bags and they love telling me they don't have a fix and call corporate about it. I actually tried to have corporate consider my truck a lemon has it does not run how it should. I would love to get my transmission issue fixed since they are not going to take it back. Any more info would be greatly appreciated!!!

I like EVERYTHING about my 4 banger SR5. I've had four other cars in my 32 years of driving, one of which I bought new back in 2001. It was a Ford Ranger and it totally fell apart at 147,000 miles after 15 years of gentle loving ownership.

However, my Taco is my favorite car purchase ever. I like the form, function, ride, the peppy power it has...even the inferno orange color makes my day everytime I see it.

I've put around 500 miles on it so far with no issues. The great mpg is a bonus as well.

Did I mention I love this thing?
;)

I am having a similar battle they did an update for the transmission but it did not fix the issue. Is there anyway to get more info from your friend about this chip for the transmission. My local car dealer a bunch of "D" Bags and they love telling me they don't have a fix and call corporate about it. I actually tried to have corporate consider my truck a lemon has it does not run how it should. I would love to get my transmission issue fixed since they are not going to take it back. Any more info would be greatly appreciated!!!
I just know that after I found out from my local Toyota dealer that there was a service bulletin on this issue, he asked his local dealer, and they knew nothing about it. He insisted they call Toyota direct, and that is when they ordered the chip for him. I am not really sure whether it is an actual chip that you install, or a chip that has the necessary info on it that you download. Either way, I would not let an authorized dealer tell me they don't know or they have heard nothing. Make them call Toyota, or do it yourself. Good luck...

Back