Speaker upgrade on jbl system

la vaca

Has anyone upgraded the speakers on the JBL system? I can have my volume all the way up and it’s loud but not loud enough. All the posts I’ve seen are on the regular sound system. Any info would be appreciated.

That doesn’t sound right. Mine is plenty loud at 3/4 volume. What type of volume are you getting vs trying to get to?

I like my music loud and majority of the time I have it at 55 and occasionally I’ll have it on Max. In my mustang I can’t Max it out because it will be to loud. That’s why I was wondering if changing out the speakers would help or if it’s more of a head unit issue

I know the JBL systems have a amp but I think it’s only for the subwoofer. Someone know otherwise?

The amp is for all the speakers. The only way to upgrade the JBL from what I’ve read is to replace everything. You’ll need all new speakers, new amp, etc. Don’t think it’s hard it’s just costly to basically buy new everything. Mine is plenty loud, it just doesn’t sound good. I wonder if you have an issue with the amp not getting power to your speakers. Might find a fuse for it and check. Unplug the fuse and see if it sounds the same or check the fuse with a meter.

The amp is for all the speakers. The only way to upgrade the JBL from what I’ve read is to replace everything. You’ll need all new speakers, new amp, etc. Don’t think it’s hard it’s just costly to basically buy new everything. Mine is plenty loud, it just doesn’t sound good. I wonder if you have an issue with the amp not getting power to your speakers. Might find a fuse for it and check. Unplug the fuse and see if it sounds the same or check the fuse with a meter.

I might give that I try

Replacing the factory speakers with ones that have a higher sensitivity rating will result in louder sound. The sensitivity rating is how efficient the speaker is. There are trade offs, if your source had a high thd rating the all you will do is make distortion louder. I believe anything below .1% thd is inaudible to the human ear.
This being said, I posted a week or so ago about options for replacing the factory jbl sub and adding and amp. It is possible, but is kind of a pain in the rear. Almost anything is possible with electronics, it’s just a matter of figuring it out.
I will say that I am very happy that my trd sport did not come with the jbl option, while replacing all components except the headunit was expensive, it was relatively easy to do and the end result in my mind sounds incredible.
If you have questions on my build let me know. I did a lot of research before I started taking interior apart.

Replacing the factory speakers with ones that have a higher sensitivity rating will result in louder sound.
You're talking like going from four ohms to two ohms for example but then you're going to be dealing with harmonic distortion. That's what a lot of people are doing to get that boom boom because all that vibration is nothing but harmonic distortion. I've always like clean cut sound.

The JBL in my 2010 was plenty loud. Make sure your music source volume is not at a low volume.

If you upgrade any part of it, I'd just go full tilt with new everything.

The JBL in my 2010 was plenty loud. Make sure your music source volume is not at a low volume.

If you upgrade any part of it, I'd just go full tilt with new everything.
Is there a good system out there that is plug and play for our system?

You're talking like going from four ohms to two ohms for example but then you're going to be dealing with harmonic distortion. That's what a lot of people are doing to get that boom boom because all that vibration is nothing but harmonic distortion. I've always like clean cut sound.

True, if the amp is a piece of garbage then yes. Any thd value below .1 is inaudible. I can’t speak to the factory amp and what it is rated at, stability or thd but I would imagine being a factory sourced option it meets minimum requirements. I do think audio in general be it home or car, if you half ass it you will never be satisfied.

Is there a good system out there that is plug and play for our system?

Unfortunately not really since you have the JBL system. OEM Audio plus may have something but it isn't going to be much. The JBL system makes upgrading a pain in the butt.

Back