Spring compressor VS Zip ties

Discussion in 'Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation' started by Taco Slinger 4000, May 20, 2018.

1. Taco Slinger 4000

Taco Slinger 4000 Well-Known Member

im in the process of possibly ordering a set of fox 2.0’s. My only concern was that the ones I plan on buying are used and the coil is very much preloaded. Question is: can I simply use a ton of zip ties hold this coil down while I adjust the lower ring? How violent will the release be once I cut the zip ties?

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    Taco Slinger 4000

4. Crawdad

Crawdad Well-Known Member

Have you purchased already? If not, pass and splurge a few bucks on 2.5's. You'll thank yourself in the future. If you never touch dirt, these may suit your needs, but the preload + the small shock isn't really much of an upgrade minus the lift to fit a larger tire.

Bogunn likes this.
  5. OP
    Taco Slinger 4000

Haven’t purchased yet, I drive up and down a poorly maintained dirt road 5 days a week sometimes beach sand but nothing with crazy inclines up rocks. Was looking to raise the front up 2 inches and get a better ride. I haven’t yet considered the 2.5s but I’ll check prices now that you mention

Crawdad likes this.
  6. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

What are those?
    600lb coils?

Thats 600lbs of force to compress 1 inch right?

7. OP
    Taco Slinger 4000

Yep, talked to the seller and they’re compressed 2.5 inches for the previous truck. So I figure fasten a bunch of zip ties at different lengths 1 inch apart and cut each one with scissors individually while adjusting with the Spanner wrench. I just wonder if they will violently spring or it’s more of a nice little gradual thing?

8. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

9. pauljboudreau

pauljboudreau Member

You got huge ball if you play with zip tie and a compressed spring, very dangerous

10. Crawdad

Crawdad Well-Known Member

Please at least spend the $15 or so for the Horror Freight coil spring compressor. I don't see your method being very nice to your finger nails. Lol

pauljboudreau likes this.