Squealing serpentine belt.

that is a valid point regarding wet belt

are both arms/hands required to release the tensioner or can one arm reach do it. i don't have a clue how much of a reach it will be to get off and get back on
maybe from underneath the truck on the shoulder with that skid plate removed?
the fan shroud on this '11 is gigantic!

I am able to release the tensioner on my 1GR-FE with a 2 foot breaker bar + socket using 1 arm. The other arm places a screwdriver in the "release position" hole.

Kinda depends on the tools, access, your strength, coordination....

Last edited:
i recently read somewhere to drop front tire pressure to 3psi to lower the front end enough to the ground to perhaps better access the stuffs
this was on a Gen3 T4R...

i recently read somewhere to drop front tire pressure to 3psi to lower the front end enough to the ground to perhaps better access the stuffs
this was on a Gen3 T4R...
Probably written by someone who is too short to reach over the fenders.........

Doesn't sound like a normal repair procedure.

could it be this here?

"
Not sure if this is still an issue or not, But I had a similar issue with my truck. It ended up being the cold air intake tube where it enters the fender. There is a foam rubber gasket between it and the hole it goes into. When I would put the truck in reverse holding the brake, the engine would torque in the opposite direction causing the hard plastic air cleaner inlet tube to vibrate against the steel around the hole. Removed gasketing around the tube and replaced with some inexpensive weather stripping I had on hand as a test.
It has been there for over 3 years now and the noise hasn't come back.
Not sure its the same issue for you but thought it might be worth a look."

Only way to tell is to open the hood.

Or
Maybe someone duct taped a cat the radiator fan.............. Pretty sure that would squeal too.

Have belt squealing on my 2011 Tacoma. Have had 3 pulleys replaced, then tensioner replaced and latest is the water pump. Also, 3 new belts installed and still have squealing. All toll over $1,500.00 spent and getting tired of no solution. Have heard about a different type of belt, a Gatorbelt, but cannot find one for my truck. Need help.
It's called a Goodyear Gatorback belt. Maybe that's why you weren't able to find one. I had one on my Tundra. never had a problem with it. I agree with Rock though, either weak tensioner or pulley alignment issue

Also, have you replaced the harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley). I've seen where the rubber between the two pieces gets dry and it makes a squeaking noise. (they can be somewhat pricey)

Also, have you replaced the harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley). I've seen where the rubber between the two pieces gets dry and it makes a squeaking noise. (they can be somewhat pricey)
No need to tell me how pricey those crank pulleys are :mad:
Just wish I had known it was failing on my gen1 before it did actually fail and broke into a rotating engine cooling fan one day

I checked that AT fluid level today engine running hot and stared and listened to where the noise might be
Trained my ears on that tensioner or what I suppose to be the tensioner wheel

I hesitate to suggest an ol' school method to help isolate the sound. Although, I must caution you......Be extremely careful around rotating parts.

Use a long metal shaft as a stethoscope. Start the engine. Place one end of the shaft on the suspect area. Place your cheek bone near your ear on the other end. Listen. YOU MUST BE AWARE OF ALL ROTATING PARTS. NO LOOSE CLOTHING, LONG HAIR OR JEWELRY OR WATCHES. It you get caught in the rotating parts........you will be seriously injured quicker than you can blink or react.

Great suggestion Rock. I use that method still today sometimes. When I was turning wrenches for a living we actually had a mechanic's stethoscope for that purpose and it really came in handy. Now I just use a very long screwdriver

I hesitate to suggest an ol' school method to help isolate the sound. Although, I must caution you......Be extremely careful around rotating parts.

Use a long metal shaft as a stethoscope. Start the engine. Place one end of the shaft on the suspect area. Place your cheek bone near your ear on the other end. Listen. YOU MUST BE AWARE OF ALL ROTATING PARTS. NO LOOSE CLOTHING, LONG HAIR OR JEWELRY OR WATCHES. It you get caught in the rotating parts........you will be seriously injured quicker than you can blink or react.

i suffered injury just trying to remove the engine fan and fluid coupler to swap out with new parts

i suffered injury just trying to remove the engine fan and fluid coupler to swap out with new parts
I know.

That is why I hesitate to offer that diagnostic tool. It comes with a substantial level of risk.

I witnessed a de-gloving of a coworker's ring finger when he touched a rotating drive shaft. I won't go into details, but he reached around a guard. The de-gloving was over in a fraction of a second.

I truly believe your best option is to hire a good mechanic. Let him do the work. Your tasks are to describe the symptoms, allow the mechanic to diagnose, discuss repair options and cost, authorize a repair, then pay the mechanic.

Back