Strange noise?

tacotommy

On my '18 OR DCLB with about 36k miles, the first time I step on my brakes after moving from forward to reverse and vice versa I hear a clunking noise, only happens after I change direction though. Anyone else experience this/ is this normal? (I doubt it) warranty is up at 60k and want to know if I should punish myself by going to my dealer

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Axle wrap described to me is the torque of the engine to the rear drive shaft and diff overcoming the springs and twisting the axle during acceleration sometimes resulting in a 'clunk' when stopping.

Thanks.

When I feel it is almost always first thing in the morning at the first traffic light after driving down the hill from my house.

Infrequently under any other conditions.

Thanks.

When I feel it is almost always first thing in the morning at the first traffic light after driving down the hill from my house.

Infrequently under any other conditions.
I've noticed on my '17 OR when I come to an abrupt stop and then take off....I can hear the 'clunk'.

Is this something that needs repair or should I just learn to live with it?

Is this something that needs repair or should I just learn to live with it?

I've read here on the forum that stronger updated springs help alot. I've chosen to live with mine. However, the noise you hear may have nothing to do with the axle and is something else.

On my '18 OR DCLB with about 36k miles, the first time I step on my brakes after moving from forward to reverse and vice versa I hear a clunking noise, only happens after I change direction though. Anyone else experience this/ is this normal? (I doubt it) warranty is up at 60k and want to know if I should punish myself by going to my dealer

If you’re ok with the punishment getting any issues you feel are issues documented is a good idea. If toyota later decides they want to release a TSB or a recall and you’ve documented the issue they are addressing it will be fixed.

Without hearing or feeling what you’re describing I would not be able to say exactly but it does sound like you’re experiencing the bind and release of the rear axle and leaf springs known as @kp.taco wife put it asshole wrap.
A40D6D0F-60B6-486B-9521-39A52CE062DF.jpeg

After doing a test drive after all this new info, it seems like it may be coming fron the front end, drivers side tire area... doesn't sound like axle wrap/ spring related. Y'all are real helpful... looks like the a trip to the dealer is in my future -_-

If you’re ok with the punishment getting any issues you feel are issues documented is a good idea. If toyota later decides they want to release a TSB or a recall and you’ve documented the issue they are addressing it will be fixed.

Without hearing or feeling what you’re describing I would not be able to say exactly but it does sound like you’re experiencing the bind and release of the rear axle and leaf springs known as @kp.taco wife put it asshole wrap.
View attachment 31553
Seems like that will also lead to premature spring bushing wear

There was a hard shift TSB from R to D. I thought they got it fixed in 2017 and haven’t heard any 2018’s having the issue. Maybe that TSB needs to be completed?
upload_2020-10-4_22-36-47.jpeg

It could be the brake pads shifting.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was under my taco yesterday and I notice that the driveshaft u joints do have zerk fittings to grease them. Its like a unicorn siting?

Last edited:
Back