Stutter at highway speeds

Rob Fu

Hello, I’m new here and I was hoping for some help. I have a 2001 Tacoma with 230,000 mi on it. Runs great but when I’m on the highway going about 70 it stutters or hesitates a bit. Every once in a while it will do a hard jerk. I thougt it might be bad fuel but I don’t think so. I changed the front 02 sensor and mass air flow sensor not to long ago because my check engine light was on and that wasn’t it. Maybe plugs and wires next. I’d appreciate some suggestions.
Thanks in advance

Hello, I’m new here and I was hoping for some help. I have a 2001 Tacoma with 230,000 mi on it. Runs great but when I’m on the highway going about 70 it stutters or hesitates a bit. Every once in a while it will do a hard jerk. I thougt it might be bad fuel but I don’t think so. I changed the front 02 sensor and mass air flow sensor not to long ago because my check engine light was on and that wasn’t it. Maybe plugs and wires next. I’d appreciate some suggestions.
Thanks in advance
Welcome to the forum. If you haven’t done a tune up for a while I’d do that and see how it drives. If it still stutters after that there is a few other things you can do. I’d do the tune up first.

Thank you. As far as a tune up what more to do other than plugs and wires? Timing?
I don’t know what you’re maintenance has been on the truck for that 230k Miles you might also do: trans ATF fluid, front diff 75w-90, rear diff 75W-90, transfer case 75w-90, brake fluid DOT 3 or 4 and power steering fluid which uses ATF as well.
The fuel filter is easy enough to get to and cheap enough to replace. You know better than I do what’s been done and when on the truck.

Like @OR17TRD and @Rob Fu said a lot of it depends on the maintenance that has been kept on your truck. The basics of a tune up are:
Fuel System: Check and replace Fuel Filter and Lines as needed. Check the Injectors and clean as needed.
Timing Belt.
Oil Change and Filter.
Rear Diff fluid check and replacement as needed. Transfer Case Fluid check and replace as needed. Transmission Fluid and Filter as needed.
Air Filter, Cabin Air Filter check and replace as needed.
Belts and Hoses: check to see if they are worn/cracking and replace as needed.
Tires: Balance, Rotation, Tread.
Brakes: Pad, Shoes, Drums, Rotors, Lines.
Use an OBD2 if there are error codes showing. Run a basic diagnostics. If you don’t have one I’d get one. They are cheap and invaluable.
Basically anything that is routine maintenance and everything in between.

Hello guys. I changed the fuel filter, wires, plugs, O2 sensors, Mass air flow sensor. I have some new coil packs on order. It’s still doing the same thing. Is there a high rpm sensor. Maybe it’s Crank or flywheel sensor? This is getting a bit frustrating 8 even have acode reader. I don’t have a check engine light on. When I plugged it in nothing came out. This really sucks. Thoughts?

Hello guys. I changed the fuel filter, wires, plugs, O2 sensors, Mass air flow sensor. I have some new coil packs on order. It’s still doing the same thing. Is there a high rpm sensor. Maybe it’s Crank or flywheel sensor? This is getting a bit frustrating 8 even have acode reader. I don’t have a check engine light on. When I plugged it in nothing came out. This really sucks. Thoughts?

Is this an automatic ??

Is the shutter just felt in the steering wheel or the entire truck shutters and hesitates at 70mph?

Reactions: 4wd
These trucks aren’t going to have a lot of response at 70mph. So some hesitation would be expected at that speed.

Yeah that & I'm wondering if this "stutter" or hesitation the OP talks of is just that, a stammer/stutter/back to normal thing or is it a case of momentary absolute loss of power (the kind you'd experience if you turned off key then back on)...

Yeah that & I'm wondering if this "stutter" or hesitation the OP talks of is just that, a stammer/stutter/back to normal thing or is it a case of momentary absolute loss of power (the kind you'd experience if you turned off key then back on)...

It’s not a stall like I turned off the key. It’s not just at 70 it’s at any speed.

Back