Supercharger advice

858_tacoma_guy

So now a days it’s almost impossible to find a TRD supercharger anywhere since Toyota discontinued it, but URD and Magnuson makes some. My question is, are they CA legal to pass smog, or is there any other brands I should be aware of?

Their website seemed ambiguous about the whole CA legal part

TRD is mostly just an engineering firm. Magnuson made the TRD kit but it now just doesn't slap the TRD name on it and sells under their name. That is the only smog legal kit.

URD never was or will be smog legal.

Just remember, the new Civic turbo non SI is faster than my truck.o_O

Last edited:
TRD is mostly just an engineering firm. Magnuson made the TRD kit and not just doesn't slap the TRD name on it and sells under their name. That is the only smog legal kit.

Mine too...:(

TRD is mostly just an engineering firm. Magnuson made the TRD kit but it just doesn't slap the TRD name on it and sells under their name. That is the only smog legal kit.

Answered my question, thanks whip!

No I did not... What happened to all that HP from the S/C ?...

No enduser tuning, combined with the trd tune being pig rich (avg)... i bet its running sub 10:1 and killing hp.

Pull it up to 11.5:1 and i bet it would wake up...... but too much spent on this turd already i hear, and with no gauge, im just speculating since i reeled in a stage 1 sti. The trd tune is anything but consistant.

Nancy, u have a printout with your afr?

I bet as rpm climbs it leans out some as the pump is at its max, but id bet midrange its a dog.

Reactions: 4wd
So now a days it’s almost impossible to find a TRD supercharger anywhere since Toyota discontinued it, but URD and Magnuson makes some. My question is, are they CA legal to pass smog, or is there any other brands I should be aware of?

Their website seemed ambiguous about the whole CA legal part

Whos website is ambiguous?

Magnuson has CARB info on file.... urd does not and due to cost and political bullshit doubt it ever will.
Urd lists many of there items as "offroad use only, never to be used on public roads"

Whos website is ambiguous?

Magnuson has CARB info on file.... urd does not and due to cost and political bullshit doubt it ever will.
Urd lists many of there items as "offroad use only, never to be used on public roads"

URD I think, it’s said not intended for highway use... but never said it wasn’t cal legal, so I got confused there lol

No enduser tuning, combined with the trd tune being pig rich (avg)... i bet its running sub 10:1 and killing hp.

Pull it up to 11.5:1 and i bet it would wake up...... but too much spent on this turd already i hear, and with no gauge, im just speculating since i reeled in a stage 1 sti. The trd tune is anything but consistant.

I bet as rpm climbs it leans out some as the pump is at its max, but id bet midrange its a dog.

You saw the dyno. No RPM, no AFR and it downshifted. Can’t tune **** when there isn’t tuning option. URD has it now but it’s money I don’t want to spend.

You saw the dyno. No RPM, no AFR and it downshifted. Can’t tune **** when there isn’t tuning option. URD has it now but it’s money I don’t want to spend.
Bad memory... i forgot the shifting snafu. Truly needed that info to see wtf went wrong, where it went wrong, and yeah u coulda actually used the maf calibrator to manipulate fueling.

Thats shifting tho makes it a wash.

Bad memory... i forgot the shifting snafu. Truly needed that info to see wtf went wrong, where it went wrong, and yeah u coulda actually used the maf calibrator to manipulate fueling.

Thats shifting tho makes it a wash.

URD MAF cal? Bahahaha. Slightly better than the ebay resistors.

Might as well go full UCON now that it's available.

Yes, but know u did have an option long ago.

Could sit around and see how many engines pop with orange virus.

Maf cal def cut the power lag on the kickdown. I had no more hesitation (loading/bogging) while na. 35mph rolling spin was easy with no bogs.

Is that as in compression ?? So is it still true that lower comp. motors (smog motors) are better with turbo but it's opposite with super charged engines ??...Or ??...

Back