Suspension and Wheels

BlackBessy17

Hi all. I'm excited to find a forum for Tacoma's! I am more or less a complete novice when it comes to these kinds of things. I used to wrench on cars, but it's amazing how much you forget when you don't do it regularly. Any who, I have a 2017 Tacoma off-road and I want to upgrade the suspension, while also lifting it. My friend installed the King setup in his 17' 4-runner, and he suggested that if I want to do it, I should make sure I get Coil overs (and rear shocks) with the remote reservoir and always replace the upper control arm. I looked at the Icon systems, and am noticing that the big differences in the stages are the tubular or billet control arms. Is that a big deal? I don't want to break the bank, but I also don't want to be cheap about it. Also the rear shocks change from stage 4 to 5. I don't do a whole lot off road, mainly looking for a smoother ride when commuting, and better towing. Also, after the lift I can do new rims and tires. I am trying to understand how the offset works with rims. I know I don't want the wheels sticking out past the fenders, but I also don't want to rub. If i did a 2.5"-3" Icon (or King, although i'm not a fan of the blue) can I fit 265/60R18 tires? Maybe trim a little? Thanks in advance and i'm glad to be a part of the community!

Those should fit in stock. 265/75/16, 265/70/17 and 265/65/18 (if that is a size) is the same diameter.

Icons are ok but they have top hat issues. King is pretty much the best out there. You don't need the reservoirs unless you are actually going to use them. Upper arms are not needed unless you are trying to get max lift out of the coilovers but then it may ride harsh because of the preload.

King can make their shocks any color you like.

Last edited:
Those should fit in stock. 265/75/16, 265/70/17 and 265/65/18 (if that is a size) is the same diameter.

Icons are ok but they have top hat issues. King is pretty much the best out there. You don't need the reservoirs unless you are actually going to use them. Upper arms are not needed unless you are trying to get max lift out of the coilovers but then it may ride harsh because of the preload.

King can make their shocks any color you like.

Awesome. Thanks for the information. What do you mean by top hat issues? I am leaning towards the King setup anyways, but would like to be educated . Looks like a 265/65/18 isn't really a size! Haha, told you I was an amateur.

Awesome. Thanks for the information. What do you mean by top hat issues? I am leaning towards the King setup anyways, but would like to be educated . Looks like a 265/65/18 isn't really a size! Haha, told you I was an amateur.

Icon created a top hat that allows for longer shocks than normal. The bring the shock mounting point closer to the coilover mount on the frame. But because of this, they have been known to break. A friend's broke but drive his truck hard.

King/Fox mount:

maxresdefault.jpg

Icon mount:

IVDCoiloverTop.jpg

Broken Icon top hat:

img_0960-jpg.1375876

IMG_0858.jpg
Look into Old Man Emu BP-51 kit. I have it on my 16 Taco Off Road and Love it! I’ve had Toyotas pick ups since 1988 . I’ve had many different setups and this one is my favorite. I’m using Light Racing’s Upper Control arms with a sealed ball joint with zerk grease fittings. IMG_1367.jpg

If your order is with OK Auto 4WD in NJ. They were giving Light Racing UCA’s at no charge with OME BP-51 kits. That’s what I have in my Taco.

The deal from Ok Auto is great! The added UCA's are SPC Racing, and I already ordered it. Thanks OU81taco16, its gonna be sweet.

Can I use RM83002 Toytec 1' spacer kit with this setup to get a little more lift? The toytec website says it works.

The deal from Ok Auto is great! The added UCA's are SPC Racing, and I already ordered it. Thanks OU81taco16, its gonna be sweet.

Can I use RM83002 Toytec 1' spacer kit with this setup to get a little more lift? The toytec website says it works.

You ordered from OK? It’s a spacer lift so it should work,but, seems to me Cab 1” higher than frame will slide steering column apart that distance. I don’t know how much distance is safe and wouldn’t do it. I’m sure someone has an answer. BP-51 is Awesome no pitting from last winters road salt and the fact that I power washed the undercarriage after any driving in the Salt helped!!! Ha

You ordered from OK? It’s a spacer lift so it should work,but, seems to me Cab 1” higher than frame will slide steering column apart that distance. I don’t know how much distance is safe and wouldn’t do it. I’m sure someone has an answer. BP-51 is Awesome no pitting from last winters road salt and the fact that I power washed the undercarriage after any driving in the Salt helped!!! Ha

Yeah ordered from OK. I spoke with Ben over there and he hooked it up. He also said not you use the 1' spacer kit. Ill be fine with just the suspension lift.

I ordered some new wheels too. The Method Titanium vex 17". How important is the load rating when i'm choosing tires? When I tried to order the KO2's, it said the tire was way over the stock load rating for Tacoma, and would cause the ride to be stiff. I see these tires on Tacoma's all the time!?! What is the 411? Thanks

I’m running BFG KO 2’s 305/65/17’s load range E . Not much sidewall flex won’t buy E again. With this kit and your additional weight added, bumpers, winch , cap whatever. You can adjust your suspension for the ride feel you like.

I am planning on doing quite a bit towing, so I wanted to get a tire with a stiffer sidewall, but I can only find the KO2 in 285/70/R17 with either class E or C. I think C may be too little, and E too much. Maybe I have to look for a different tire? One I can get that is class D.

I am planning on doing quite a bit towing, so I wanted to get a tire with a stiffer sidewall, but I can only find the KO2 in 285/70/R17 with either class E or C. I think C may be too little, and E too much. Maybe I have to look for a different tire? One I can get that is class D.
I had 285/75/16 KO2’s E rated on my 2017 Tacoma with 3” lift my MPG around town was 13 and hwy was 16 at best. Towing it’s closer to 10. How much weight are you towing and for how far? Can you find KO2’s in 285/70/17 in a C rate? They should be fine. You can run the E’s at 33-40psi for a better ride. I ran mine around 33-34psi not much road noise and the ride felt fine.

I had 285/75/16 KO2’s E rated on my 2017 Tacoma with 3” lift my MPG around town was 13 and hwy was 16 at best. Towing it’s closer to 10. How much weight are you towing and for how far? Can you find KO2’s in 285/70/17 in a C rate? They should be fine. You can run the E’s at 33-40psi for a better ride. I ran mine around 33-34psi not much road noise and the ride felt fine.

I already expect to lose quite a bit of my MPG, i've come to terms with that. I have two trailers, and at most, one will be about 5,000 pounds when loaded (dump trailer). Maybe 50-60 miles. The stock tires do pretty well up to around 4500, then I can feel them. Thats with the truck having a couple hundred pounds of tools in the bed too. They do make 285\70\17 K02's with the c rating.

If you’re not going to be off road in the rocks worried about the side wall the C is fine for the weight you’ll have. If you’re worried about it and don’t mind the 13mpg get the E rate.
I’m always putting weight in the bed and moving stuff around with the truck. I also go off road on narrow trails with logs and rocks I didn’t want to worry about it so I got E. I didn’t think the MPG would be so bad. I was getting 13 in my Tundra 5.7L so I was use to it.

If you’re not going to be off road in the rocks worried about the side wall the C is fine for the weight you’ll have. If you’re worried about it and don’t mind the 13mpg get the E rate.
I’m always putting weight in the bed and moving stuff around with the truck. I also go off road on narrow trails with logs and rocks I didn’t want to worry about it so I got E. I didn’t think the MPG would be so bad. I was getting 13 in my Tundra 5.7L so I was use to it.

The stock tires say standard load, which is 2200 lbs. the K02 c rated tires are 2800. So you're right, the c rated K02 is much better. I don't plan on being in the rocks too much, so I think I'll do the C would do just fine. I think i'll do the E rated tire anyway just to be sure, and I can make some adjustments on the suspension if I need to. Thanks for the advice.

Back