Taco Tires

Snowtaco

I'm curious what users out there prefer for snow and ice on a 4x4 extended cab 2013 tacoma (265 70 17)?

BFGoodrich All-Terrain M/S
Bridgestone Blizzak
Michelin LTX M/S

If you are talking strictly snow and ice, the Blizzaks hands down are the best for that terrain, they are the only "winter/snow tire" you mentioned. The other two tires are all terrains, yes, they will be better than any "all season" tire, but will have less the performance on snow and ice than the Blizzak. They may be snow "rated" but it doesn't mean they are a snow tire. Do you plan to use these year round or swap out just for the winter?

I'm running cooper AT3's, they are an all terrain. I prefer all terrains because I'll use these year round. This is their first winter so we'll see how they do.

In my honest opinion, you can do well with most all terrain tires in snow and ice if you drive smart.

Last edited:
These are awesome in snow. Been running these since '08.
Ice is ice, doesn't matter what tires you have still slick.

I second that, I've had Destination AT's on my s10 a couple years back and they did pretty well in the white stuff. Only problem is I never rotated them and they went to **** pretty quick...whoops.

I have been a Cooper Tire guy for the past 30 years. I have always replaced my original tires with Coopers. Four trucks and four cars. Great tire reasonable price.

I have Duratracs now. I hear they are great in the snow but I haven't taken them into snow. They are horrible on wet pavement and cup easily on the street.

I second that, I've had Destination AT's on my s10 a couple years back and they did pretty well in the white stuff. Only problem is I never rotated them and they went to **** pretty quick...whoops.

The set I bought for my PreRunner in '08 were still in good shape in '12 when Toyota bought it back. So when I got this newer Taco, 1st thing was to buy a new set. 2 months later we got 24 inches of snow. Drove around without a problem in the white stuff. Very pleased!
With a little weight in the back bed about 350 lbs. I had no issue driving uphill in my backyard in the deep stuff.

Yeah, if you don't rotate they don't last near as long as they can. They are only rated for 50,000 miles. I drive maybe 12k a year.

Pics of when I drove her up in the yard. It snowed 11 inches 1st day, 3rd day 13 in. This was taken after the 2nd dumping. My Chevelle looks almost buried. :laughing:

Attachments

• S1050304.jpg
    S1050304.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 43
  • S1050302.jpg
    S1050302.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 44
I have Duratracs now. I hear they are great in the snow but I haven't taken them into snow. They are horrible on wet pavement and cup easily on the street.

Hi Whipersnapper02, since someone is asking about tires I thought I would add a request that benefited us both.
2001 Tacoma 4x4 Auto. Good year Wranglers. On it when I bought it.

I noticed you said "They are horrible on wet pavement ", that is my problem, big time! If I am stopped at a very slight incline no matter how gently I feather the gas it still will spin the rear tires and is hard to get going. It (the truck) has to get going a little before any traction takes place.
Pisses off people behind me and I really don't blame them, even though they can see what is going on, they don't give a dam.

On my 1999 Tacoma I used the B F Goodrich tires that SAM's sells, they were better but definitely not great even though the tread design was designed for rain when one is moving to direct the water out fast,never any aquaplaning problems.

I haven't added any weight yet witch everyone should do in the Winter/summer/always!

What are you using for weight (Stable weight)? If it's sand bags where in the heck do you find the bags?
People used to use burlap feed bags but I haven't seen them for a long time.

I should add that once the truck (both trucks and tire brands) is moving at speed I only had two occurrences of " Dancing with the Devil" and both have been with the 2001 with Wranglers (they are a little worn).
Several times I felt that the 1999 with the BFG's was going to start dancing but it didn't, so the BFG's get my vote for best all around tire, WITH WEIGHT STABLE IN THE REAR, as you suggested.

I sure hope this has helped the OP.

Last edited:
I don't add weight to me truck since rain isn't too much of an issue here. I let TRAC handle wheelspin. :) But seriously it sucks when trying to drive normal. I had BFGs on my manual Ranger and they would spin easily if I was trying but they were ok during normal driving.

I have seen a water bag that mounts to bed when you need more weight. I can't think of the name right now though.

I don't add weight to me truck since rain isn't too much of an issue here. I let TRAC handle wheelspin. :) But seriously it sucks when trying to drive normal. I had BFGs on my manual Ranger and they would spin easily if I was trying but they were ok during normal driving.

I have seen a water bag that mounts to bed when you need more weight. I can't think of the name right now though.

Hi Whip, I wouldn't want to use water, it's to darn unstable. I'm going to find some of those feed bags and fill two of them with about 160 lbs or so and put them about over the rear wheels in the truck bed (each side). I've run sand bags before, they work great.
It's just finding them!
Take care.

Changeling you could do what I do. Just go to Home Depot and buy 40# bags of dirt. The cheapest you can find, about $1.25 a bag each here. I use about 6, plus 1, 70# bag of sand for winter.

You could also use bags of cat litter. <-----this can be used for traction if stuck, just throw some down or use a carpet strip.

Once winter is over if any of the bags of dirt got torn I just throw it in a hole in the yard. It's comes in a thick plastic bag so if it gets wet it turns to mud, still in the bag. Not all over the bed of your truck.

40# bag of Dirt at Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-40-lb-Topsoil-71140180/100355705#.Uo1SOiC9Hbw

Changeling you could do what I do. Just go to Home Depot and buy 40# bags of dirt. The cheapest you can find, about $1.25 a bag each here. I use about 6, plus 1, 70# bag of sand for winter.

You could also use bags of cat litter. <-----this can be used for traction if stuck, just throw some down or use a carpet strip.

Once winter is over if any of the bags of dirt got torn I just throw it in a hole in the yard. It's comes in a thick plastic bag so if it gets wet it turns to mud, still in the bag. Not all over the bed of your truck.

40# bag of Dirt at Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-40-lb-Topsoil-71140180/100355705#.Uo1SOiC9Hbw

What he said! Changeling, If you have a Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards, you will find these pre-filled sand bags much easier to buy and they come in various weights. In my opinion adding sand bags for rainy weather is kind of pointless. It all comes down to the tires. With past trucks, I've only had sandbags in the winter.
If you do get sand bags, make yourself a box out of 2x4's to fit between the wheel wells in the bed, so the weight will be directly over the axle and the bags wont slide around.

I'm running Cooper AT3's, and they have been nothing but great on wet roads. Its been an very wet autumn and the truck has seen a lot of rain, so I've been pushing their limits to see their breaking point, never lost traction. I've heard nothing but bad things about Goodyear Wrangler's wet road performance. If sand baggin' it doesn't solve your problem, you might want to consider a change of tires.

What he said! Changeling, If you have a Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards, you will find these pre-filled sand bags much easier to buy and they come in various weights. In my opinion adding sand bags for rainy weather is kind of pointless. It all comes down to the tires. With past trucks, I've only had sandbags in the winter.
If you do get sand bags, make yourself a box out of 2x4's to fit between the wheel wells in the bed, so the weight will be directly over the axle and the bags wont slide around.

I'm running Cooper AT3's, and they have been nothing but great on wet roads. Its been an very wet autumn and the truck has seen a lot of rain, so I've been pushing their limits to see their breaking point, never lost traction. I've heard nothing but bad things about Goodyear Wrangler's wet road performance. If sand baggin' it doesn't solve your problem, you might want to consider a change of tires.

Good point about the sand TJ! I don't buy much of it since the bags of dirt do me double duty. Good for winter and then after fill holes in the yard. I don't want to fill yard holes with sand. :laughing:

Something else you can use is river gravel, again 40# bags. I've done both, if a bag rips I throw it in my gravel driveway. ;)

And the wooden frame does wonders as well, used one in my HiLux & PreRunner but in this Taco I have it has the Taco bed pad so the bags don't slide around, I put 3 down side by side, between the rear wells and then stack 3, the 70# bag of sand sits across them in front towards the cab. Perfect amount of weight. Never spun a tire in snow. Then again my Firestone AT tires are good in rain or snow.

Also, I never use for rain just when it snows. I get good traction in rain. Snow is different trying to drive up my driveway is a little challenging since I don't shovel it. Once the streets are clear I take it out.

Right now I'm running the Hankook DynaPro AtM's so far no issue at all in the rain, dry pavement, or back roads. Really only break lose when you step on the loud pedal. I have about 100#s in the bed right now for winter, haven't driven in snow yet with the tires on

Back