Taco Tonneau Project

Gadget

I did not have a choice because we bought a in stock Tacoma, but we are looking at putting a Tonneau cover on our Double Cab Taco SR5 short bed. Just starting to try and understand the different types (Soft Rolling/Folding & Hard Folding). Whether I need new bed caps etc... Also would like to put a power lock on tailgate, if it is even possible. I know I don't want anything expensive like power sliding. Don't want to break the bank but not afraid to spend a little more to get something that works and is useful.

Would live to hear from members.

Thank you.

M

IMG_0681.JPG I like the low profile. It folds back and can lean against the cab giving you full access to your bed while also protecting the rear window. This gives you the ability to pile loads up higher with no risk of having it come through the window.

That looks great. It is a hefty $969 for the 5ft one. Seems pretty expensive but I have just started looking. Thanks OR17TRD !!

Well so far I have looked at:

- Extang Trifecta 2.0 -- $399.00
- Gator Tri-fold -- $249.00
- American Hard Tri-Fold -- $599.00
- BAK Revolver X2 -- $939.88

All is very confusing. Read several reviews that included excessive road noise with soft covers...

Also not too many actual installation videos on 2016-2017 Tacos

M

Well I decided to go CHEAP. Gator Tri-fold for $190.00 delivered 2-day fed-ex. It actually had a install vid of a 2017 Tacoma. Looked very easy...

Any noise produced from it on the road or hwy?
Does it keep everything dry inside?
How easy was the install?

Well it was way too easy. Lock myself in the bed and got light at 2 front corners. Going to buy some dense adhesive foam. and try to fix. Only been 50 mph, but truck seems quieter because now I hear the exhaust. The kit was missing the foam for the 2 front pads . Calling but probably just going to buy some myself.

I did not have a choice because we bought a in stock Tacoma, but we are looking at putting a Tonneau cover on our Double Cab Taco SR5 short bed. Just starting to try and understand the different types (Soft Rolling/Folding & Hard Folding). Whether I need new bed caps etc... Also would like to put a power lock on tailgate, if it is even possible. I know I don't want anything expensive like power sliding. Don't want to break the bank but not afraid to spend a little more to get something that works and is useful.

Would live to hear from members.

Thank you.

M
I was bacially forced to purchase a factory installed cover when I bought my Tacoma Limited. Be aware that this cover is water resistant not water proof. Which simply means it leaks.

All flip style tonneau covers will "leak" if water is constant. Most will leak on the sides where the seams are but still keep your stuff dry and safe. If you don't ever need full access to your bed get a hard one piece cover that extends over the edge of the bed rails or a cap and even those can let water through under the right circumstances. Get a bed mat to elevate your stuff. Mine will have some water dripping down the side of the bed in heavy rains but not on my cargo.

Thanks. What bothers me most that the cover was forced on me with that is the way it is sold. If you want the truck it comes that way. I never would have purchased this cover as an add on.

The factory tonneau covers on these new tacomas have a different bed rail to accommodate the cover. You can not have a factory one put on after market. I think you can take it off but won't be able to replace it with something else due to the way the rails are. Seems like if it's on at factory you are kind of stuck with it. I'm glad I didn't have it on. I like my bakflip MX4.

You can take off the factory bed cover and put on whatever you want. I purchased a Truck Covers UDA. EXPENSIVE but Awesome. The only water I see; after a car wash drive through is from under the truck by the tailgate. A bit of weatherstripping and that is gone as well. The roll up bed fits in a 8" x 8" box. Takes up very little to and look and locks well. I live in the coast in Texas. We get heavy rain.

The factory tonneau covers on these new tacomas have a different bed rail to accommodate the cover. You can not have a factory one put on after market. I think you can take it off but won't be able to replace it with something else due to the way the rails are. Seems like if it's on at factory you are kind of stuck with it. I'm glad I didn't have it on. I like my bakflip MX4.
Can you still use your sliding Tiedowns after you installed your backflip Mx4?

Back