Tacoma Engine Oil

Welcome to the forum! Best engine oil?......proper weight and they're all good. Also, its a personal choice......some folks like Mobil1....some like Amsoil......some like Royal Purple.....some go for OEM Toyota oil........pick which brand/flavor you want to run......make sure its the proper weight and enjoy the Taco.

Welcome to the forum! Best engine oil?......proper weight and they're all good. Also, its a personal choice......some folks like Mobil1....some like Amsoil......some like Royal Purple.....some go for OEM Toyota oil........pick which brand/flavor you want to run......make sure its the proper weight and enjoy the Taco.

Great advise here!! Tried NAPA and Mobil 1 0w-20. Currently using Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0w-20 and a TRD filter. Just make sure you get a high quality cap wrench for the oil filter housing. I really miss the standard oil filter.... my only complaint.

Great advise here!! Tried NAPA and Mobil 1 0w-20. Currently using Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0w-20 and a TRD filter. Just make sure you get a high quality cap wrench for the oil filter housing. I really miss the standard oil filter.... my only complaint.
Please keep us advised as how you like the rotella gas truck oil. I work part time at a parts store and when that oil first came out I figured it would be a pretty good seller just from the following of rotella from the big truck market. So far its not been a big seller however I'm thinking it might be a hidden gem.

Thank you.

Thank you. We said!

I have used Shell Rotella Gas Truck in 0w-20 for one oil change and have this oil in my engine currently. I ran this oil for about 8500 miles and did not have to add any Rotella between changes. In the same mileage period, I always had to add 1/8 to 1/4 quart in this same amount of time/mileage with Mobil 1 or Napa Syn 0w-20. I also noticed no metal bits on the magnetic drain plug. With the other oils, I had a very tiny amount of metal on the plug magnet. This might also due to using a Toyota TRD filer. I used the standard OEM Toyota filter with the Mobil 1 and Napa oil.

I have used Shell Rotella Gas Truck in 0w-20 for one oil change and have this oil in my engine currently. I ran this oil for about 8500 miles and did not have to add any Rotella between changes. In the same mileage period, I always had to add 1/8 to 1/4 quart in this same amount of time/mileage with Mobil 1 or Napa Syn 0w-20. I also noticed no metal bits on the magnetic drain plug. With the other oils, I had a very tiny amount of metal on the plug magnet. This might also due to using a Toyota TRD filer. I used the standard OEM Toyota filter with the Mobil 1 and Napa oil.
Hmmm, got my mind thinking.

It has a tendacy for the lifters or cam chain tensioner or something bleeding off when it sits overnight, will rattle a little on cold starts. Some oils are worse for it than others. Got the most noise out of valvoline and Pennzoil, did pretty decent on castrol. Either m1 or Amsoil illinated it.

Back