Tacoma idles really high in park and neutral

My 2008 Tacoma with the 4.0 v6 idles really high in park and neutral but after awhile I idles down so I was just wondering if anyone else’s does this

My 2008 Tacoma with the 4.0 v6 idles really high in park and neutral but after awhile I idles down so I was just wondering if anyone else’s does this
Give us numbers off the tach, an idea where the water temp gauge is, and how cold it is outside

Ac on or off?

In general yes it will fluctuate.... But without numbers we are kinda throwing darts at a potato board and hoping for sauteed mushrooms

First start of the day only?

Truck sit inside or outside all night?

Is this a new issue?

Any modifications under the hood?

You didnt give us water temperature

I dont drive as much as i should, but ur situation doesnt sound too bizzare

I’ve only had the truck for 3 weeks and it has did it since I’ve got it and the only modification is a k&n air filter. I didn’t look at water temp and the truck sits outside and it it does it more than just the first start of the day

I think you're worrying too much. Mine jumps up to almost 1800 sometimes when I cold start it. And over 10 seconds it gradually drops to about 1000 and then to ~800 when warm.

Your computer regulates the engine idle speed. Your new air filter is probably allowing much more air into the fuel mixture than your previous filter so it will take some time for your computer to adjust the idle speed. You could always disconnect the battery for a few mins. That will reset the computer and then that will cause the computer to have to relearn the best idle speed. I remember when my dirt bike carb was dirty it created a lean fuel mixture (lots of air) and it idled very high and ran hot.

I think you're worrying too much. Mine jumps up to almost 1800 sometimes when I cold start it. And over 10 seconds it gradually drops to about 1000 and then to ~800 when warm.

Your computer regulates the engine idle speed. Your new air filter is probably allowing much more air into the fuel mixture than your previous filter so it will take some time for your computer to adjust the idle speed. You could always disconnect the battery for a few mins. That will reset the computer and then that will cause the computer to have to relearn the best idle speed. I remember when my dirt bike carb was dirty it created a lean fuel mixture (lots of air) and it idled very high and ran hot.

Yeah I i guess it’s fine but I always worry about stuff lol

Back