Tacoma MPG

rosemeadblvd

If there is already a thread like this Im sorry. So many people have problems on MPG due to driving habit, location, or terrain. I decided to try it out my self. Here is my info. 2017 tacoma 4WD DCSB. Nothing loaded on truck. I traveled 70 MPH same distance same route same speed, same everything possible in the middle of the night for approximately 25 miles each experiment.There were a little uphills and downhills.
1: cruise control mode: I observed he fuel economy screen closely. I noticed when up hill, the system will accelerate to keep up the pre set speed so the MPG will go down. When there was a little downhill, the system will not let go the acceleration. It stay at approximately 18-19 MPG range.
1: Not cruise control mode. I returned to same place refueled to reset the fuel economy to 0. I got on the free way tried to keep same speed at 70. When going up same hill I noticed I got approximately 1-2 MPG than when it was NOT under cruise control. When going downhill I got approximately 10MPG additional than when it was under cruise control.
At the end I got 16.7 MPG under cruise control and 21.4 under Not cruise control mode.
My finding. DONT use cruise control if you want better MPG.

Last edited:
If there is already a thread like this sorry.
So many people have problems on MPG due to driving habit, location, or terrain. I decided to try it out my self. Here is my info. 2017 tacoma 4WD DCSB. Nothing loaded on truck. I traveled 70 MPH same distance same route same speed, same everything possible in the middle of the night for approximately 25 miles each experiments.There were a little uphill and downhills.
1: cruise control mode: I observed he fuel economy screen closely. I noticed when up hill the system will accelerate to keep up the pre set speed so the MPG will go down. When there is little downhill the system will not let go the acceleration. It stay at approximately 18-19 MPG range.
1: Not cruise control mode. I returned to same place refueled to reset the fuel economy to 0. I got on the free way tried to keep same speed at 70. When going up same hill I noticed I got approximately 1-2 MPG than when it was under cruise control. When going downhill I got approximately 10MPG additional than when it was under cruise control.
At the end I got 16.7 MPG under cruise control and 21.4 under Not cruise control mode.
My findings. DONT use cruise control if you want better MPG.
Yep the hypermilers will tell you the same.I had a yaris for awhile and got in to the game of hypermiling.Cruise maintains a set speed over the hill and the human can ease off over the top of the hill.

Back