Tacoma PreRunner TRD - Off Roading

Flex

I just purchased a Toyota Tacoma but it's a PreRunner. That means it looks like a 4x4 but it's only a 4x2. What kind of off roading can I get away with in this truck?

I just purchased a Toyota Tacoma but it's a PreRunner. That means it looks like a 4x4 but it's only a 4x2. What kind of off roading can I get away with in this truck?

Just about anything, but not as well as a 4x4. Be prepared and have a buddy with you at all times. Invest in a locking rear differential and tow straps. I'm looking into a come-along until I can afford a winch.

IMG_4066.jpg

You'll be fine!:rockon: if you get in a hairy position thats what they got the locker for. Alot of people wheel 2wd. 4WD is for people who dont know how to offroad:innocent:

Just learning when to get on the skinny pedal will help you a bunch and picking a good line.

So, your truck is a prerunner? I wouldn't have thought it but cool to see you going all out with it.

Most of the go-fast guys are 2WD :thumbsup: 4wd isnt needed when going fast and adds un needed weight.

You'll be fine!:rockon: if you get in a hairy position thats what they got the locker for. Alot of people wheel 2wd. 4WD is for people who dont know how to offroad:innocent:

2WD is for those that dont wheel in rocks, mud, snow, rain, wind, cloudy days, and ESPECIALLY hills. If i wanted a desert blaster i would take a 2wd truck that is built right all day every day. unless it was jberrys, cuz that thing is SWEET.

2WD is for those that dont wheel in rocks, mud, snow, rain, wind, cloudy days, and ESPECIALLY hills. If i wanted a desert blaster i would take a 2wd truck that is built right all day every day. unless it was jberrys, cuz that thing is SWEET.

Ive gone wheeling in everyone of those conditions (minus snow) :w00t: Its all in fun. And i would say its 75% the driver. most of us don't go wheeling in places that are 4x4 required. If the trail says 4x4 required im not saying i would attempt it in 2wd lol. Just saying a 2wd is definitely capable of some good 'froadin' if you know how to pick a line and get on the skinny pedal. Also buy a winch if you are going to be going by yourself so you dont look like a derp asking for help that you got stuck by yourself. Ive done it myself. Got stuck in a wash with no trees around and managed to hook it to the base of a bush. I got lucky :hang:

Ive gone wheeling in everyone of those conditions (minus snow) :w00t: Its all in fun. And i would say its 75% the driver. most of us don't go wheeling in places that are 4x4 required. If the trail says 4x4 required im not saying i would attempt it in 2wd lol. Just saying a 2wd is definitely capable of some good 'froadin' if you know how to pick a line and get on the skinny pedal. Also buy a winch if you are going to be going by yourself so you dont look like a derp asking for help that you got stuck by yourself. Ive done it myself. Got stuck in a wash with no trees around and managed to hook it to the base of a bush. I got lucky :hang:

yup, gotta have the truck for the terrain i suppose. although 4x4 is built for it all IMO. born and raised in the rockies gives you a certain opinion of what trucks must have ;) nothing beats 4lo and locked.

and getting stuck... i know all about that. though i learned a winch>a second truck.

Crumble went through all of Cleghorn in 2wd. Impressive but all that braaaaping up everything caused damage to his truck. One leaf mount tore from the frame while he was on the freeway. He didn't crash but all that just to say he went on a 4wd trail. He regrets doing it.

Taking a running start just to make it up stuff isn't wheeling in my book. That's just abuse on your rig. If it is built for it then go for it. Crumble's truck is full LT and it still broke. I'll take 4wd.

Crumble went through all of Cleghorn in 2wd. Impressive but all that braaaaping up everything caused damage to his truck. One leaf mount tore from the frame while he was on the freeway. He didn't crash but all that just to say he went on a 4wd trail. He regrets doing it.

Taking a running start just to make it up stuff isn't wheeling in my book. That's just abuse on your rig. If it is built for it then go for it. Crumble's truck is full LT and it still broke. I'll take 4wd.

I would definitely not do that! everyone has their styles of offroading they like. I like the go fast stuff and am not a fan of slow moving crawling. To each their own. although I would like to have a second 4wd expo rig, that would be fun.

I would definitely not do that! everyone has their styles of offroading they like. I like the go fast stuff and am not a fan of slow moving crawling. To each their own. although I would like to have a second 4wd expo rig, that would be fun.

I would have a LT toy on the side that I would tow with my 4wd. I like going fast in a sports car more than I do being on dirt so I'll get a car before I get another truck.

I would have a LT toy on the side that I would tow with my 4wd. I like going fast in a sports car more than I do being on dirt so I'll get a car before I get another truck.

Before i built my truck i was considering building a supercharged challenger. Then I realized i wanted to keep my license so i decided on going with an offroad toy haha.

Before i built my truck i was considering building a supercharged challenger. Then I realized i wanted to keep my license so i decided on going with an offroad toy haha.

I got into trouble for street racing before. I was 17 - 19. Now at 28 almost 29 I can tell you that I would keep it on the track. I have never actually been in an LT truck hauling ass in the dirt but it looks fun. My dirt fun was on the quad that I'm selling.

I got into trouble for street racing before. I was 17 - 19. Now at 28 almost 29 I can tell you that I would keep it on the track. I have never actually been in an LT truck hauling ass in the dirt but it looks fun. My dirt fun was on the quad that I'm selling.

I know myself, i got in alot of trouble at a younger age and cruise control is my friend now. I like going fast and some of these empty backroads where i live i know i wouldn't be able to help myself but open the throttle every once in awhile.

this is why i almost went LT, a quad in dirt is a blast so a built truck could only be more fun right?

I have a dirt bike that has been in my garage un used for almost 2 years. I value my job and cant afford to break any bones or get injured. So a roll cage and 5 pt harness seemed a little better to me. Might hurt the bank account if i roll it but atleast ill be able to go to work and repair it.

I have a dirt bike that has been in my garage un used for almost 2 years. I value my job and cant afford to break any bones or get injured. So a roll cage and 5 pt harness seemed a little better to me. Might hurt the bank account if i roll it but atleast ill be able to go to work and repair it.

I hurt myself on my quad and lost a week of work. I managed to do it at El Mirage too. Haha. Don't put your foot down for anything!

Back