TACOMA Radio won't turn off

If it's that big of a problem go back to your hybrid... hell you won't even hear the ****er running! Problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using Taco Forum

When I turn off my headunit, the music stops. Why is that? I've owned several vehicles and this is the first one that has done it!

Last edited:
We are all positive that your truck isnt broke. Different than your last vehicle, sure. But not broke. Forum members are very helpful.... IF you have a legitimate problem. The only legit issue you've mentioned was lurching. Tranny TSB should fix that.

We are all positive that your truck isnt broke. Different than your last vehicle, sure. But not broke. Forum members are very helpful.... IF you have a legitimate problem. The only legit issue you've mentioned was lurching. Tranny TSB should fix that.

Thanks for your respond,

I did the TSB Rav1 I believe that's call. I did that last week, trucks seems to run much smoother I like it, however still feeling the lurching/ hesitate when pulling into my garage. but I guess I can live with that.

I just wasn't sure about the stereo unit, hahaha... at least two member got very irritated. hahahaha....
wasn't my intention to upset any one.

Something to be aware of...... the tranny is a learning transmission so will take a few thousand miles to settle in. I had lurching initially too. Found tranny 1qrt low on fluid. Dealer has to service as there is no dipstick and no way to tell its low. Had 1 qrt tranny fluid added and lurching went away. Its ALL ABOUT PRESSURE with new transmissions. If its low, pressure is affected....

I went to the dealer today. I had a list of things I wanted addressed. Since I was already there I asked the service guy about not being able to turn the entune unit off completely. He had no idea what I was talking about. We went out to the truck and I showed him how pushing and holding the lower left button turns the unit off for a second but it comes right back on like it's rebooting. I showed him how you could go into options and turn the screen off but the radio would still play music even with a black screen. He said that's weird I don't know. He didn't know why it couldn't be turned off completely and why the radio would still play with the screen off/black. He said he'd look into it. Not going to hold my breath.

Something to be aware of...... the tranny is a learning transmission so will take a few thousand miles to settle in. I had lurching initially too. Found tranny 1qrt low on fluid. Dealer has to service as there is no dipstick and no way to tell its low. Had 1 qrt tranny fluid added and lurching went away. Its ALL ABOUT PRESSURE with new transmissions. If its low, pressure is affected....

Yeah, that's what a Toyota Tech told me. Transmission will learn your driving habits. I will drive my truck for an other five thousand miles and see what happens. but to be honest I do not think this could be the problem causing the truck to still hesitate/ lurch when trying to park in my garage. because the Toyota Tech that actually told me about the learning transmission on this new generation of Tacomas, he actually refused to do a TSB on my truck. so I actually ended up doing the TSB on a different dealership 2 hours away from me. oh, and the transmission fluid is not low, at least that's what the Tech told me. He checked the fluid lever and said it was fine.

But I will wait and see what happens,
but if any one in here. is having the same problem. let me know what you are doing to get it fix.
thanks

I went to the dealer today. I had a list of things I wanted addressed. Since I was already there I asked the service guy about not being able to turn the entune unit off completely. He had no idea what I was talking about. We went out to the truck and I showed him how pushing and holding the lower left button turns the unit off for a second but it comes right back on like it's rebooting. I showed him how you could go into options and turn the screen off but the radio would still play music even with a black screen. He said that's weird I don't know. He didn't know why it couldn't be turned off completely and why the radio would still play with the screen off/black. He said he'd look into it. Not going to hold my breath.

Here is what I do;

push the power button once, the audio turns off.... ((the audio only the screen remains on))

If I go to setting, from there I can turn the screen off. ((but the side buttons remain on, obviously the unit is not off completely it is running in the background))

I am wondering if it is normal that you CAN NOT turn the entune unit off completely.
like you said if I hold the power button everything turns off.
but turns ON right way. like it's rebooting. that's weird

What TSB did you have done? There are 2 tsbs for tranny issues

This is what my invoice say;

Tech found transmission hesitation when switching from reverse to drive. and ECM update available.
TC1601 reprogram ECM (PCM) engine.

and the attach other paperwork,

T-SB-0077-16 Rev1
ECM Calibration

Here is what I do;

push the power button once, the audio turns off.... ((the audio only the screen remains on))

If I go to setting, from there I can turn the screen off. ((but the side buttons remain on, obviously the unit is not off completely it is running in the background))

I am wondering if it is normal that you CAN NOT turn the entune unit off completely.
like you said if I hold the power button everything turns off.
but turns ON right way. like it's rebooting. that's weird
You've explained it exactly. That's what I showed the service guy and he had no idea why it could not be turned off completely. He said he was going to look into it.

Last edited:
Any updates on this topic ?
Not yet. The regional tech from toy corp is suppose to be in my area in June. They said they would give me a call when they could get us all together. I'll be asking about all my issues and trying to figure this out. I'll let you know as soon as I know. Bug me again if you don't hear from me by the end of June.

Also if anyone else gets more information on this let us know.

got my truck back yesterday. Tech told me there is no way the stereo unit can be completely turn off.

if you want no audio push power button once
if you want the screen off - settings and turn off screen

basically the side buttons will always remain on.

got my truck back yesterday. Tech told me there is no way the stereo unit can be completely turn off.

if you want no audio push power button once
if you want the screen off - settings and turn off screen

basically the side buttons will always remain on.
Woohoo it's not broke. That's how they designed it.

Hey guys, I know this is a little old, but I'm having a worse issue.
Last time I brought my TACO in for service, they did a software update.

Since then, 65% of the time, when I turn off the truck (push to start ignition) the radio stays on. No biggie. I open the door... it stays on. Come back out an hour later... it's still playing music.
The only way it will shut off is if I actually re-start the engine then quickly shut it off again. Very odd. Has anyone else run into this yet?

I plan on taking it into the dealership. Just curious if anyone else has seen it. (And no, the windows won't work when the truck is off but the radio stays on. Very weird).

Since then, 65% of the time, when I turn off the truck (push to start ignition) the radio stays on. No biggie. I open the door... it stays on. Come back out an hour later... it's still playing music.
The only way it will shut off is if I actually re-start the engine then quickly shut it off again. Very odd. Has anyone else run into this yet?

I plan on taking it into the dealership. Just curious if anyone else has seen it. (And no, the windows won't work when the truck is off but the radio stays on. Very weird).
I have not heard of anyone else having that issue. I’d be taking it back to the dealer for sure. Let isn’t know what they find.

Do your windows work too? There’s a timed relay that keeps certain accessories on in case you’re just sitting in the truck. Maybe it’s stuck on.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking too, but the window functions stop. Everything else stops, even the dash fan etc... except the radio.
Doesn't always stick on, but sometimes oddly, tapping the brake pedal will shut it off, sometimes it doesn't.

Back