Tacoma recall

jdevera

Toyota is recalling about 250,000 2016-2017 Tacomas for leaking rear differentials. Has anyone experienced a rear differential leak?

Seriously whats up with all these god damn problems with this new gen of Tacoma's?? What ever happened to our trucks being known for reliability, so sad so see toyota stopped caring about quality.

Toyota quality has been falling for many years now. Toyota is riding the quality wave that they were known for but that wave his long since dissipated.

The leak is probably from improperly torqued 3rd member nuts. Some people discovered loose nuts on their 2nd gens.

They should be recalling these transmissions. I've heard lots of people complaining about the transmission and only a few about a differential leaking.

Last edited:
Too many problems with these new gens. My 07 hasn't had an issue since day one and she has nearly 200k of hard miles.

Too many problems with these new gens. My 07 hasn't had an issue since day one and she has nearly 200k of hard miles.

2nd gen had the following issues:

05-06 Faulty engine mounts
05-07 Differential issues (gear breakage)
05-08 maybe 09 Clockspring issues
05-11 Defective DTRL lenses
And don't forget the rust issues of the 1st gen and some 2nd gens.

The tranny issues from the Turd gens is partly the fault of the owners since they want Prius like mileage from a brick on wheels.

The tranny issues from the Turd gens is partly the fault of the owners since they want Prius like mileage from a brick on wheels.
Strange, I never had these issues..?

IMG_1187.PNG image1.JPG image2.JPG I don't expect to get 45mpg haha. I get 13city/16 hwy. I would like my genturd to roll up hill in cruise control and not be in 3rd gear at 70 mph at 4500rpms getting 15mpg on a 150 mile hwy trip. 16city/20 hwy would be nice. Am I being unrealistic with that? Considering they are rated at 19/24. 12 mpg in town is what I would expect from a v8 towing. Not a mid size empty V6 going down a flat city street at 35mph for 5 miles headed to work. I would also like it to not have lose of power going up an incline at lower speeds then ramp it's RPMs up to 3500-4500 and take off with the slightest pressure change on the accelerator. There really needs to be a happy medium. At this point it's all or nothing.

Not following the owners fault comment. Other than my fault for buying a turd.

I have, first it was the rear flange leaking. They fixed that and most recently my differential gears were grinding. They just fixed that. I was thinking I got a lemon.

Anyone have a photo of where the leak is occurring?

Thx

Never mind found a Youtube vid.

Last edited:
The recal won't show up until June. You'll have to wait. They will contact you if yours is one of them.

They should be recalling these transmissions. I've heard lots of people complaining about the transmission and only a few about a differential leaking.

Nothing is wrong with the trans. It's all in the programming. No low end power from the engine either so it will want to downshift more to get the vehicle's speed up.

I'm ok with it wanting to down shift to pick up speed... holding 3rd gear at 70 mph 4500 RPM's for 10 miles until I had enough and took it out of CC into S mode and made it up shift then putting it back into drive and sitting in 4th gear at 75mph 3100 RPM's. Where is 5th and 6th gears? They have put out 3 programs in almost a year, sure I agree some issues where fixed that are related to programming.
You're also saying it's an engine/transmission combo issue.
I'm saying they should recall it and put something else in it for the 2019 or 2020. Either a new engine or new transmission or both. Maybe the 2016-18, 2020 should just be its own genturd. #Genturdification:) don't wait 10yrs, 3-5 is enough.

Back