Tailgate lock

LITacoQ

Hello all. I am very new to this site and to the Tacoma as well. I have read many pages about the tailgate mods (pop&lock, hose clamp, washer). My question is...... do some of the 1st generation tacomas (2003) have a bolted on tailgate that won't allow the hose clamp mod? This is the 1st mod I would be doing and I can't see where I would put a hose clamp on mine. I will probably still do the Pop&lock, but would have done both if possible. Thanks in advance. Happy halloween :devil2:

Sorry If I'm not too clear. From what I have read on TW, there may be 2 types of tailgate hinges. Most people (I think) have the tailgate that can be lifted out of its slot on the passenger side hinge, while few have a bolted on hinge. The former will accept the hose clap mod while the later will not. Is this true? I'm sorry if I am making no sense at all:confused1:

Never heard of such a thing. It would be silly to produce 2 kinds but it is Toyota. The easiest way to find out is to try to remove it.

Last edited:
I think the hose clamp mod only works on 2nd gens. (as I was just told on TW). 1st Gens are bolted on so no need for the hose clamp. Thanks again for your time:thumbsup:

Hello all. I am very new to this site and to the Tacoma as well. I have read many pages about the tailgate mods (pop&lock, hose clamp, washer). My question is...... do some of the 1st generation tacomas (2003) have a bolted on tailgate that won't allow the hose clamp mod? This is the 1st mod I would be doing and I can't see where I would put a hose clamp on mine. I will probably still do the Pop&lock, but would have done both if possible. Thanks in advance. Happy halloween :devil2:

I was gonna say ask whip. He's already answered

Back