That ECT though...

the transmission continues to shift automatically, but stays in each gear longer.

Same thing. But in sequential mode you can hold a gear even longer. When at redline it’ll beep if you attempt to downshift lower than 2nd? I think in a turd gen.
Either way. Same principle, but it can actually be more effective to shift yourself. (Plus it’s funner). Lol.

the transmission continues to shift automatically, but stays in each gear longer.

The best part of the button is that the 2nd gen trans was smart enough to adjust for terrain so no separate button was needed.

But really I think Toyota programmed the new trans to be garbage to make the rated mileage and gave you a button to make it better if you are are one of those drivers. They should have just put a tow/haul mode button.

The best part of the button is that the 2nd gen trans was smart enough to adjust for terrain so no separate button was needed.

But really I think Toyota programmed the new trans to be garbage to make the rated mileage and gave you a button to make it better if you are are one of those drivers. They should have just put a tow/haul mode button.

Dead on. That’s exactly what they did. I like getting 20+ miles a gallon but not at the expense of poor shift points. The ECU seems to have adjusted to a tolerable shift pattern, or I’ve gotten used to it (maybe a little of both).

If they would call it a Tow/Haul mode it would reduce the enigmatic idea people have for the little “Electronic Transmission Control” button.
I assume they’ll never change it because they’ve used the ECT so many years now.

Back