Throttle hesitation

Depends on the gen Tacoma. I've been told on this forum that the 2nd gens apparently never need their fuel filters changed... although my truck has 200k on it and it's never been done. I know on first gens they can easily be replaced.

Also is that a cup of fuel...? Or oil? What am I looking at? If that's the fuel in your tank, then yes absolutely change the filter and and add fuel additives like chevron Techron every 1000 miles. Buy them in bulk if there's a Costco near you, you'll save a ton of money.

thats fuel from an inline filter dumped out ................... "2nd gens apparently never need their fuel filters changed", yeah...............i cant agree.
My picture shows thats incorrect as that came out of a 2006 tacoma. Ive seen the same come out of a 4runner after about the same mileage.

im not dumping an additive in my gas tank every 1k miles, especially if its already IN chevron gas. I typically use chevron, as its close to the house, then shell, then mobil

thats fuel from the filter................... "2nd gens apparently never need their fuel filters changed", yeah...............i cant agree.

im not dumping an additive in my gas tank every 1k miles, especially if its already IN chevron gas. I typically use chevron, as its close to the house, then shell, then mobil

Well if you're using those fuel companies for gas then yeah I wouldn't either, but I just do it since I get great deals at Costco. I use it for all my cars too. But apparently for 2nd gens have the filters inside their fuel tanks, which makes it a bitch to replace...

I'm strongly considering doing this.

Also would this be good for a stock engine? I have the 4.0l v6. What would this kit have as for advantages?

it wont be "bad" for a stock engine.
The only benefit I see is being able to change ur filter with ease (and the support for any future forced induction).
Based on the crap that came out of my filter in such a short time, and the fact that my stock sock (prefilter) had a couple metal curls stuck in it (I shoulda taken a pic), it cant hurt

either how, try and keep ur tank (stock pump or otherwise) above 1/8 of a tank. I never run mine below 1/4 of a tank.
Theres only 1 thing that keeps your fuel pump cool.....................FUEL

it wont be "bad" for a stock engine.
The only benefit I see is being able to change ur filter with ease (and the support for any future forced induction).
Based on the crap that came out of my filter in such a short time, and the fact that my stock sock (prefilter) had a couple metal curls stuck in it (I shoulda taken a pic), it cant hurt

Also another question I have, which fuel pump should I select?? I run 91 octane gas. There's a lot of options for which fuel pump to select, which one would best suit my stock 4.0l engine?

And also if I do use this kit, would I expect any performance gains?

Also another question I have, which fuel pump should I select?? I run 91 octane gas. There's a lot of options for which fuel pump to select, which one would best suit my stock 4.0l engine?

As for performance, I dont know. On a stock engine, I would not expect any performance gain. That said, I was not in your position when mine was installed so I DID see a difference in part throttle to WOT response.

I cant say which pump is best but this is from the URD page

The default pump the kit ships with is the Walbro 255 LPH High Pressure fuel pump. We also have other pumps available. You may pick from the AEM 320 LPH pump, the DeatschWerks 255 or 320 LPH pump, or the AeroMotive 340 LPH pump. If you wish to run E85 the DeatschWerks pumps are fully E85 compatible. The AEM and the AeroMotive pumps can be used with E85, but the manufacturer states that you should expect reduced pump life with the E85 fuel. The standard Walbro pump is not E85 compatible.

The walbro has served me well for a couple years. I dont plan on using e85, and it will support over 500HP according to walbros website.

Last edited:

Depending on what the 4.0 has for stock compression , you may be just wasting money on premium (most vehicles are emissioned (lower compression motors) for 87 octane, generally, but I guess if SC or boosted 91 oct might be required for efficient combustion... I think Mr. Bojangly or Whip will know for sure (pretty sure they're s/c'd or other)

Depending on what the 4.0 has for stock compression , you may be just wasting money on premium (most vehicles are emissioned (lower compression motors) for 87 octane, generally, but I guess if SC or boosted 91 oct might be required for efficient combustion... I think Mr. Bojangly or Whip will know for sure (pretty sure they're s/c'd or other)

91+ needed for force fed.

87+ needed for n/a may need to fine tune the fuel used based on any pinging in your area I guess.

That said I ALWAYS ran 91 even bone stock, and I have no reason behind that :)

87+ needed for n/a may need to fine tune the fuel used based on any pinging in your area I guess.

People seem to think that the OEM ECU has enough adjustment to take advantage of the 91 octane but the manufacturer isn't going to tune for 91 and then recommend 87 only.

Reactions: 4wd

People seem to think that the OEM ECU has enough adjustment to take advantage of the 91 octane but the manufacturer isn't going to tune for 91 and then recommend 87 only.

Not 100%m sure how it is now, but back n my day ...
(****, here it comes, more ramblings from an old man)

Seriously tho', I had a 360hp 327 w/ F.I. heads out of a 66-67 vette in a 57' half ton chevy truck

& a 455 in my Firebird , both these engines had 10.5 or 11:1 comp ratio & they'd stumble & slobber & almost ping themselves to death if running anything less than 90 oct, luckily I had a Gulf station down the street & ,you could get 103 oct pump gas, think about that !! Next fuel up was AV fuel at 107 or 108 oct.

A few weeks ago I was getting out of a parking lot, made a quick left and the truck like stop responding on the gas. It has not happened again and tried doing the same move to see what will happens.

I used to use BJ's in my VW and notice a difference in performance, I stopped using it. Stop and Shop gas mileage/gallon is way less. In my Tacoma I was using WAWA, after a while I noticed the truck is not performing the same it looks like misfire. I am using another brand and after a couple of empty tank no more issues.

Back