Throttle surge on 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport.

Those are definitely legitimate concerns. I wouldn't worry too much though. Many of the problems the current model is having actually go back to the previous generation Tacoma. Vibrations, shudders, axle wrap, surging and lunging are all things that previous model owners discuss, but the resale values haven't been diminished apparently. It's also my understanding that consumer reports makes a habit of giving Tacomas bad reviews, although I haven't actually researched that myself.

Talked to my case managers supervisor about how I was treated and how I was lied to. I wanted to give them a chance to redeem themselves before I completed the survey that was emailed to me.
The supervisors customer service was horrible way worse than the case manager that lied to me. I was told by the supervisor that the case manager was wrong to tell me my truck has issues and that toyota acknowledges them as issues and they are working on a fix. That when she told me it was driving as designed the first time before calling my service manager and finding out 15 other trucks in my area have the same issues, she was right none of them do. I'm being told that my truck is operating as designed again. I was told even if there are lots of other trucks with the same issues mine is having that toyota has not come out with a TSB and therefore nothing is wrong with my truck or any of the others that are on the road with these issues.
I hope toyota knows these case managers are all over the place. What BS. No redemption. I completed the review all around not satisfied.

Regarding the deceleration bump, I was just told by a service tech that they are seeing this in all the newer Toyotas, not just trucks. Cars, minivans, everything. He said it's the drive shaft. He said, in a low sort of voice, bring it back [a third time] and leave it for a day. We'll reproduce and work on it."

The 2017 TRD sports have same issue I bought mine in October of 2016 ever since I test drive the truck bought it continues to have issues and the computer upgraded twice. There is other issues with the truck losing power when on an incline over a 10% grade. It cuts off and then powers back on.

I notice it a lot in reverse on an incline. Backing up my driveway it surges bad. Holding a constant pressure to the gas peddle the truck lurches/surges. I could only imagine trying to back up to a boat or small trailer or backing up an incline while towing would be ridiculous.

I have a 2017 double cab in super white and I've had none of these problems at the 8000 mile mark.

It's amazing me how much more common I'm hearing about these problems. Yikes!

I have a 16 trd or with 8k and the tranny tsb done at 2k. Zero issues and mileage close to advertised. I have a 3 inch lift and 285's so I take a small hit in mileage. I'm a bit concerned about all the poor experiences others are having but so far I'm pleased. I traded in a 10 trd or with 90k. Loved it, hope I didn't make a mistake! So far I love this truck! Let's hope the residual value holds like previous gens.

I notice an increase in rpm's from my power steering pump but no surge. I had the surge issue on my 10 trd or but not on my 16 so far. The tsb may have addressed the problem on my truck. I bought it used soon after the tsb had been done and have no complaints.

Last edited:
Regarding the deceleration bump, I was just told by a service tech that they are seeing this in all the newer Toyotas, not just trucks. Cars, minivans, everything. He said it's the drive shaft. He said, in a low sort of voice, bring it back [a third time] and leave it for a day. We'll reproduce and work on it."

What are they going to do to fix it?

I only get the deceleration bump below 5 mph and only when the automatic transmission is in sport mode and 2nd gear (I downshifted let's say from 4 to 2 to slow down and then stopped without downshifting into 1st). If I just use the brakes to decelerate in normal drive mode there is no bump.

2016 sr5 v6 DCSB

The 2017 TRD sports have same issue I bought mine in October of 2016 ever since I test drive the truck bought it continues to have issues and the computer upgraded twice. There is other issues with the truck losing power when on an incline over a 10% grade. It cuts off and then powers back on.
Do you have a lift and larger tires?

What are they going to do to fix it?
I was notified of the rear differential recall a few weeks ago, so I brought it in today. They said it wasn't leaking and they have yet to see one that is. They said my issue is "drive shaft wind up" and I was told not to worry and that the senior tech expects another related recall at some point. Basically, yes - there's a problem, no - we're not fixing it right now.

I was notified of the rear differential recall a few weeks ago, so I brought it in today. They said it wasn't leaking and they have yet to see one that is. They said my issue is "drive shaft wind up" and I was told not to worry and that the senior tech expects another related recall at some point. Basically, yes - there's a problem, no - we're not fixing it right now.
Sounds pretty typical. Don't stop bugging them. They say that and hope you and everyone else forgets about it and goes away. Then they don't have to fix it.
Thanks for the update.
I'm suprised you got notified for the rear differential recall and then they did nothing. Toyota said they weren't going to put out notifications until June. At minimum they should have re torqued everything.

I hear you but our nada guide retail is still $4K more that we paid (Obviously not counting tax,title and tag).

OR17trd I do not have a lift on the truck and I have the standard tire size for the truck. I have gone to different dealerships and I notice that the dealers have different tires on many trucks. Some dealers have Toyo which I have some have Goodyear and there others with cooper. I have the throttle surge happening to. I am going to have to call corporate to get things done as well. Because the dealers keep saying nothing happening when there techs take my truck for test drive. As for recall my truck is being looked at today to see if my seal is leaking. Which BS because I told them I feel the diff starting to cease

I have figured out the throttle surge in my Tacoma. It's just when I move the steering wheel. It's more noticeable when truck is cold and not warmed up yet.

OR17trd I do not have a lift on the truck and I have the standard tire size for the truck. I have gone to different dealerships and I notice that the dealers have different tires on many trucks. Some dealers have Toyo which I have some have Goodyear and there others with cooper. I have the throttle surge happening to. I am going to have to call corporate to get things done as well. Because the dealers keep saying nothing happening when there techs take my truck for test drive. As for recall my truck is being looked at today to see if my seal is leaking. Which BS because I told them I feel the diff starting to cease
Bummer we are all having to waste our time going back to the dealer. $40k vehicle shouldn't have so many issues. I can say so far toyota has been trying to fix each issue. They really only like to address one at a time so you will be going back again and again if you have multiple issues.
Let us know what happens with that rear diff. I know the recall will be released in another week or so. It will be interesting to hear who has what done.

I have figured out the throttle surge in my Tacoma. It's just when I move the steering wheel. It's more noticeable when truck is cold and not warmed up yet.
That's the power steering pump. That should be normal.
Mine will surge when I'm not turning the wheel and backing up slowly on an incline.

That's the power steering pump. That should be normal.
Mine will surge when I'm not turning the wheel and backing up slowly on an incline.

My truck surge too, more when cold, not much noticeable when in running temperature but still able to feel it a little,
do you thing is normal??

you posted this in an other thread;
I feel it when I'm slowing down just before stopping it seems to happen right about
10-15mph during deceleration almost like it loses all power for a second.
(((Feels like brake loses pressure ---- It is an uneasy feeling.)))

my truck has done the same thing many times, but is hard to replicate, I have an appointment today with the dealer I bought the truck from after calling Toyota Corporate, I am almost 100% sure it will be hard to duplicate the same thing with the tech, what can I do? the always say its normal, and never are able to duplicate what I feel .

I will talk to them about, the stereo unit not turning completely off, I don't know if it's normal or not.

Back