Ticking noise while idling

Curious if anyone has a ticking/chirping noise while the engine is idling. I own 2016 Trd 4x4 6-speed. Its very noticeable when parked next to another car or wall, especially in a small drive thur. The dealer mentioned something related to the fuel pump. I'm I the only one?

Nope. I hear it too. I think it has something to do with the Atkinson cycle engine switching to 4cy to save gas. It's a common complaint of people who have vehicles with the ability to cut cylinders.

16' TRD OR DCLB Inferno

Atkinson cycle leaves the intake valves open longer in the combustion cycle to lower cylinder pressures. The engine does not shut cylinders down.

I've seen a couple of other members say it could be the idler pulleys but I haven't read too much into it. If it sounds like a retractable pen clicking in and out, that's just your injectors.

From my experience with my previous truck before my Tacoma, a clicking noise usually indicated a valve that is "stuck" and a squeeking/chirping noise was almost always the belt. The belt chirping happened most frequently during high humidity.

This may not be what the issue is here on this thread but it might be good to know in general.

Back