Timing belt or chain on 2000 Prerunner?

MsLinda

Hello All... Do you know if the 2000 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner 2 wheel drive 4 cylinder has a timing belt or a chain? I can't seem to find the information online anywhere. We're in the market to buy an older Prerunner and would like to see which ones have the chain. And should we completely avoid the trucks with a belt?

Thank you for the help.

Linda

Yes. The 4 bangers always had timing chains.

The 3.4 is a non interference engine so if the belt breaks there is no damage. I would still ask for proof of when the belt was changed and plan on changing it, water pump and idler pulley if the previous owner doesn't have proof.

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick response.

A chain wouldn't have to be replaced, right?

This particular Prerunner ad says the timing belt and water pump were recently replaced... so I got to wondering about it. I haven't been able to speak to the owner about it yet, so I thought I'd ask questions here. I'm not sure why the owner/seller would state that the belt was changed if it's actually a chain, as I thought chains did not need to be replaced.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Linda

I love this forum! Thank you very much for your help!

Now I need to post another thread regarding recalls and rust concerns with the 2000 Tacomas. I was just checking the NHTSA site to check for recalls and I'm now reading thorugh the compaints. Now I'm worried about rust issues. Yikes... I'm hoping this rust issue is only a problem in areas where there is a lot of moisture, snow, ice etc... not here in the California valley.

Thanks again!

Linda

Ok... we were thinking we should have the local Toyota service department do a used vehicle inspection as well. It's a $125 charge, but hopefully well worth it.

Linda

Back