Tire fitment with lift

HFriday

Hey Guys I'm new to the forum and have a quick question,

I recently installed a 3 inch rough country lift on my 2011 double cab tacoma, I bought some 285/75/16 federal couragia MT.
I'm wondering if I'll be able to run these tires on the stock toyota wheels without rub on the UCA? I don't want to buy wheel spacers unless it is necessary to fit these tires!
Thanks

I have an icon 2.5 inch lift in the front and a 1.5 in the rear. I am wonder the same exact thing. I want to purchase 285/75/16s but dont want them to rub. Keep us posted!

Mine rub a tad on the UCAs with a 3 inch lift and I'm still using the stock 265s. I'll try to post a picture soon.

Now I'm no mechanic, but I'll take a beer and look at your truck anyway...

Wheel spacers or changing the rims increasing the back spacing do the same thing. They move the inside of the tire away from the UCA. Even with an expensive 3" lift and 285/70-17 or 285/75-16 you'll hit the body mount! BMC is what's needed . I had to do this on my 2010 FJ Trail Teams and on my 2007 Taco double cab. I put 188,000 miles on the FJ. Wheeled it in many situations with no problems. No frame twist, nothing changed the ride concerning BMC.ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1426752892.030602.jpgImageUploadedByTaco Forum1426752954.939398.jpgImageUploadedByTaco Forum1426753321.837434.jpg

Wheel spacers or changing the rims increasing the back spacing do the same thing. They move the inside of the tire away from the UCA. Even with an expensive 3" lift and 285/70-17 or 285/75-16 you'll hit the body mount! BMC is what's needed . I had to do this on my 2010 FJ Trail Teams and on my 2007 Taco double cab. I put 188,000 miles on the FJ. Wheeled it in many situations with no problems. No frame twist, nothing changed the ride concerning BMC.View attachment 5140View attachment 5141View attachment 5142
ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1426758877.936118.jpg
Once you cut and weld some plate steel back onto the body mount it'll look similar to mine. Paint and it will still be supportive and strong.

Ok thanks, guys. And does anybody know the stock 2011 tacoma 16" rim back spacing? I'd love to put these tires on asap!

If I'm not mistaken, they're 4.5 for backspacing

Now I'm no mechanic, but I'll take a beer and look at your truck anyway...

Yes but, if the tire rubs on the UCA and the BM still ,you'll need the BMC. And spacers or a rim with more back spacing.

4.5 back spacing is what you need not whats on stick rims and the lower the number the further out your rims stuck out ex: 2 in bs will stick out further than 4.5 in bs. With 4.5 in bs you can fit 285s

Hate to fire this up if it's already answered somewhere but I can't find it...I'm looking to put a 3inch RC lift and along with it place some 285/70/17 K02s on it. If the stock BS is 5.5 and say I need 4.5 for no rub. Is it a 1 inch Wheel spacer I need to achieve that 4.5 BS??

Thanks guys,

Dave

Stock backspace is not 5.5. It's probably 3.0 or 3.5 at most. The greater the backspace the farther the wheel will stick out from the body. Stock wheels have little backspace and sit under the wheel wells, more backspace pushes them outside. I have pro comp 16x8 with 4.5 bs and they stick out about 1" past the fender.
If your tires are more than 265s you may need a spacer to clear. But 4.5 backspace on 265/75/16 is just fine to clear everything inside and not run at full stuff/lock.
If someone has said they have info that stock bs is 5.5, it's likely bs. Grab a tape measure and find out for yourself. At least on the off road it isn't.

16' TRD Off Road DCLB Inferno

What is the specs on your wheels? I want to go with procomps 252 series in 16x10 but not sure they will clear the calipers on my 13.

Stock backspace is not 5.5. It's probably 3.0 or 3.5 at most. The greater the backspace the farther the wheel will stick out from the body. Stock wheels have little backspace and sit under the wheel wells, more backspace pushes them outside. I have pro comp 16x8 with 4.5 bs and they stick out about 1" past the fender.
If your tires are more than 265s you may need a spacer to clear. But 4.5 backspace on 265/75/16 is just fine to clear everything inside and not run at full stuff/lock.
If someone has said they have info that stock bs is 5.5, it's likely bs. Grab a tape measure and find out for yourself. At least on the off road it isn't.

16' TRD Off Road DCLB Inferno
you sure about how back spacing works because im pretty sure you have no idea, just go with 4.5 it seems to be the normhttp://www.ebay.com/gds/Wheel-Offset-Backspacing-what-it-means-finally-/10000000009860383/g.html

Last edited:
Back