Tire's & what to do now

silverT

How do all , and lets all have a great New Year !
I had a controllable problem . a day before new years eve I got hit with some flats , driver side front & rear , Front tire was easy to reach & still has some good life in it & had a plug put in
but rear tire had a bulge on bottom tread (ripped cord) with small hole . I had to also admit both rear tires were kinda worn to my surprise with closer look . So here I am day before new years Eve 6:00 pm . The tire shop has 2 choices same tire I have now , Goodyear wrangler $190 or Yokohama $170 I had some suspicions of the Goodyear wrangler that the tires were a little to soft & gave a kinda thump bounce in rear of truck on certain types of road conditions . The Goodyear was a 50,000 mile rated Yoko 70,000 . I went with the Yoko and remember in this clinch of time he only had 2 types in stock Also I need mention I had to pick kids up at grandmothers house 600 miles round trip
The Yoko type I got is a Geolander H/T Go56 after about 700 mile of use this is my opinion
High way use excellent ( better then what I had ) It's a firmer tire and completely fixed that thump bounce in rear . Use in Snow nothing to cheer about & good year was better
But the ride with Yoko :)
Tire Rack.com has fine prices . Thats my next direction but wile I like the ride of the Yoko not sure I want 4 tires not really snow strong . I will keep the Yoko's at the rear indefinite and find a better type M&S for front cause in snow I'll just use 4x4 anyway and I really like the way the rear of truck feels with the stiffer tire .
If I hadn't had this emergency I'd of picked a better M&S for all 4 but now I have a mix and match situation
for now the ride is nice with Goodyear up front Yoko in rear, no doubt set of 4 Geolander H/T Go56 would
transform my truck into a highway hauler
Any how you see I have some confusion now .
Is there a Tire that does it All ?

As a note
TireRackLogo.png

Offer's free Road hazard protection
so shipping cost is not an issue

Last edited:
There’s definitely a lot of good options out there for what you’re asking and the opinions will come.
Everyone here seems to love the Goodrich KO2’s.
I’ve never liked putting two different kinds of tires on a truck unless I had to. Can’t really get the full feel of a tire and how it does without feeling it on the rear drive axle and front steering.

How do all , and lets all have a great New Year !
I had a controllable problem . a day before new years eve I got hit with some flats , driver side front & rear , Front tire was easy to reach & still has some good life in it & had a plug put in
but rear tire had a bulge on bottom tread (ripped cord) with small hole . I had to also admit both rear tires were kinda worn to my surprise with closer look . So here I am day before new years Eve 6:00 pm . The tire shop has 2 choices same tire I have now , Goodyear wrangler $190 or Yokohama $170 I had some suspicions of the Goodyear wrangler that the tires were a little to soft & gave a kinda thump bounce in rear of truck on certain types of road conditions . The Goodyear was a 50,000 mile rated Yoko 70,000 . I went with the Yoko and remember in this clinch of time he only had 2 types in stock Also I need mention I had to pick kids up at grandmothers house 600 miles round trip
The Yoko type I got is a Geolander H/T Go56 after about 700 mile of use this is my opinion
High way use excellent ( better then what I had ) It's a firmer tire and completely fixed that thump bounce in rear . Use in Snow nothing to cheer about & good year was better
But the ride with Yoko :)
Tire Rack.com has fine prices . Thats my next direction but wile I like the ride of the Yoko not sure I want 4 tires not really snow strong . I will keep the Yoko's at the rear indefinite and find a better type M&S for front cause in snow I'll just use 4x4 anyway and I really like the way the rear of truck feels with the stiffer tire .
If I hadn't had this emergency I'd of picked a better M&S for all 4 but now I have a mix and match situation
for now the ride is nice with Goodyear up front Yoko in rear, no doubt set of 4 Geolander H/T Go56 would
transform my truck into a highway hauler
Any how you see I have some confusion now .
Is there a Tire that does it All ?

As a note
TireRackLogo.png

Offer's free Road hazard protection
so shipping cost is not an issue
If you like the way the yoko’s feel in the back get all 4. I’m going to guess the front tires are worn out and if one has a plug on it now it’s time to replace them. Some of the poor handling in the snow was probably because of the lack of traction in the front as well. Like @Bogunn said I too I’m not someone who would do a mis match set of tires. I’d go with the yokos on all 4... Or take the yokos off and sale them and put all 4 of something you want.

Last edited:
Yoko's will have to do for now ( not made of money),
but if it were up to me yoko's for Spring Summer Fall
& Steel wheels and snow tires for winter .

Last edited:
yoko's will have to do , but if it were up to me yoko's for Spring Summer Fall & Steel wheels and snow tires for winter .

Agreed with that. I don’t see many people do that anymore but that used to be the common thing to do. (Around where I live anyway).

As a Kid that was the custom - more a ritual - like the air you breath but also most cars were rear wheel drive
( I go back a bit )

As a Kid that was the custom - more a ritual - like the air you breath but also most cars were rear wheel drive
( I go back a bit )

I’m 34 but grew up where we didn’t buy new 4wd’s (nobody could hardly afford them or just didn’t buy them). Chains in the bed, waiting on winter. Studded tires for the rear wheel drives.

Yeah grew up with the seasonal ritual of putting the studded tires on too lol!! The stock Goodyear Wranglers on my 2017 are definitely not "all season" ie snow...Would like to switch up to something better, heard the K02 are pricey, looking at the Falken Wildpeak, but heard they're a bit loud on dry highway... what to do...

Yeah grew up with the seasonal ritual of putting the studded tires on too lol!! The stock Goodyear Wranglers on my 2017 are definitely not "all season" ie snow...Would like to switch up to something better, heard the K02 are pricey, looking at the Falken Wildpeak, but heard they're a bit loud on dry highway... what to do...

That’s where I’m at. I’ve got the Toyo A30 Open Country’s on mine stock. They are quiet on the highway and do decent in snow and mud but I’d like to upgrade.
Hard to justify when I’ve got so much tread left. Lol.
Will probably go the same route with either KO2’s or Wildpeaks next time.

That’s where I’m at. I’ve got the Toyo A30 Open Country’s on mine stock. They are quiet on the highway and do decent in snow and mud but I’d like to upgrade.
Hard to justify when I’ve got so much tread left. Lol.
Will probably go the same route with either KO2’s or Wildpeaks next time.
Leaning towards the Wildpeak in 265/75/16 but need to know how loud they are running on dry pavement (will drive me crazy if they hum)... Buddy at work has toyo (don't know what model) on his Dodge, says they're ok for noise, but so so in the snow.

Leaning towards the Wildpeak in 265/75/16 but need to know how loud they are running on dry pavement (will drive me crazy if they hum)... Buddy at work has toyo (don't know what model) on his Dodge, says they're just "ok" for road noise

Road noise isn’t an issue at all with mine.
With any knobby off-road/AT tire there’s going to be a pretty good bit of humming usually. Those seem to be the two go to tires for everyone on the forums so I assume either wouldn’t be too bad.

Road noise isn’t an issue at all with mine.
With any knobby off-road/AT tire there’s going to be a pretty good bit of humming usually. Those seem to be the two go to tires for everyone on the forums so I assume either wouldn’t be too bad.
Yeah, will do some shopping around between the two and see. Really want to do some mountain snow treks (wife is finally on board lol!) so need a great snow tire.

Back