Too Many Lift Options... Help me choose!!

droyal229

Seeking proper knowledge on lifting a 2014 4x4 Tacoma..LONG POST(Sorry!)

So in a few months I plan to finally lift my truck. And like most of you, I've browsed every forum, Facebook group (TTE Tacoma World etc.) and watched every YouTube video I can find but still don't know that I have enough information that I'm ready to pull the trigger[emoji17]. So here we go...My truck is a 2014 Xsp-x (SR5) 4x4.

Currently running 265/70/16 BFG KO A/T's. It's my daily driver so I'm not wanting a rough ride, and while I have plans for one day doing MINOR off-roading...I don't have plans for anything anything major, but want it to be capable of anything lite I may end up doing.

I'm looking to gain 2-3 inches of lift and would prefer it sit relatively level front/back. I dont often haul anything besides occasional yard waste and don't have plans for added weight from armour (aside from MAYBE a SSO Slim line Hybrid front bumperhttps://www.southernstyleoffroad.com/product/2016-tacoma-slimline-hybrid-bumper-20-heise-led/ which adds only 40 lbs)

My question is...what full or pieced together lift would you guys recommend? I've thought about going 5100's(to keep cost down)set to 0, with a Dakar Leaf pack and OME 887 coils to give me the lift I'm looking for. Would this suffice for my needs? Is a Dakar leaf pack doing too much, meaning should I just go AAL? I want it to be a comfortable ride that handles well for a truck. In addition to that...what do I need to make sure it's done right the first time? I've seen a lot of people get vibration after lifting and I want to avoid multiple trips to the shop...are new UCAs recommended? I plan to go with either a 255/85/16 or a 285/75/16.. will a CMC be necessary for either? And is Bilstein not a good way to go...I've seen a lot of pictures of broken shocks posted on the forums in the past and I'm skeptical of everything to some degree.

So what's are your recommendations, pics would be much appreciated!

IMG_0063.jpgIMG_8783.jpg

So in a few months I plan to finally lift my truck. And like most of you, I've browsed every forum, Facebook group (TTE Tacoma World etc.) and watched every YouTube video I can find but still don't know that I have enough information that I'm ready to pull the trigger[emoji17]. So here we go...My truck is a 2014 Xsp-x (SR5) 4x4.

Currently running 265/70/16 BFG KO A/T's. It's my daily driver so I'm not wanting a rough ride, and while I have plans for one day doing MINOR off-roading...I don't have plans for anything anything major, but want it to be capable of anything lite I may end up doing.

I'm looking to gain 2-3 inches of lift and would prefer it sit relatively level front/back. I dont often haul anything besides occasional yard waste and don't have plans for added weight from armour (aside from MAYBE a SSO Slim line Hybrid front bumperhttps://www.southernstyleoffroad.com/product/2016-tacoma-slimline-hybrid-bumper-20-heise-led/ which adds only 40 lbs)

My question is...what full or pieced together lift would you guys recommend? I've thought about going 5100's(to keep cost down)set to 0, with a Dakar Leaf pack and OME 887 coils to give me the lift I'm looking for. Would this suffice for my needs? Is a Dakar leaf pack doing too much, meaning should I just go AAL? I want it to be a comfortable ride that handles well for a truck. In addition to that...what do I need to make sure it's done right the first time? I've seen a lot of people get vibration after lifting and I want to avoid multiple trips to the shop...are new UCAs recommended? I plan to go with either a 255/85/16 or a 285/75/16.. will a CMC be necessary for either? And is Bilstein not a good way to go...I've seen a lot of pictures of broken shocks posted on the forums in the past and I'm skeptical of everything to some degree.

View attachment 17200View attachment 17201
Nice Taco, welcome to the forum

IMG_2845.jpg

Here is my truck. I pretty much have a “Mall Crawler” since I live in a city with nowhere to 4 Wheel. I have the Toytec 3” level spacer and 1” block. Most guys on here are not big fans of that lift, but it has been fine for what I need the truck to do. The rear is a little low, so I may end up putting a 2” block in the back. It rides like stock and I have 285x70 on it.

View attachment 17205

Here is my truck. I pretty much have a “Mall Crawler” since I live in a city with nowhere to 4 Wheel. I have the Toytec 3” level spacer and 1” block. Most guys on here are not big fans of that lift, but it has been fine for what I need the truck to do. The rear is a little low, so I may end up putting a 2” block in the back. It rides like stock and I have 285x70 on it.

You have to trim at all?

You have to trim at all?

Please don’t do a spacer/ block lift. The 5100’s seem to be a great, lesser expensive option. I have not used them personally, but several guys on here, who’s opinions I respect, speak well of them. I have, however, used the Dakar packs. They served me very well and I have no doubt that you’ll be happy with them. There’s also nothing wrong with the AAL. I have also heard good things about the progressive AAL and may use it myself soon.

http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/Tacoma_c_1.html

Go here and scroll around. There’s just about anything you want to find with any budget. Happy hunting!

Seems like you’ve got a good knowledge start and you’re doing your research. Your budget is going to play the biggest factor in what you can get. Meaning new UCA, coils, leaf pack vs AAL or progressive and what shocks you’re going to go with, CMC, ECGS bushing etc.
I think you would be happy with 2-2.5” lift, new coils and shocks up front, new shocks on back and a progressive or AAL. OME or eibach coils, OME or Bilstein shocks, TC UCA, Dakar’s or lots of AAL options.
You most likely won’t need the UCA’s but if you have the money and want them do it at the same time.
You won’t need the CMC unless you’re running 285/70/17 and going hard off-road. But again if you have the money do it at the same time if the shop is already in there it will be cheaper.
The vibrations or the needle bearing is about a 15% chance it will happen. Again if you have the money and you want the shop to do it at the same time they are already in there then you won’t have to worry if you’re the 15%.
I wouldn’t do UCA, CMC or ECGS bushing until I found out I needed to but... It’s your money, your truck, your time and your stress.

Seems like you’ve got a good knowledge start and you’re doing your research. Your budget is going to play the biggest factor in what you can get. Meaning new UCA, coils, leaf pack vs AAL or progressive and what shocks you’re going to go with, CMC, ECGS bushing etc.
I think you would be happy with 2-2.5” lift, new coils and shocks up front, new shocks on back and a progressive or AAL. OME or eibach coils, OME or Bilstein shocks, TC UCA, Dakar’s or lots of AAL options.
You most likely won’t need the UCA’s but if you have the money and want them do it at the same time.
You won’t need the CMC unless you’re running 285/70/17 and going hard off-road. But again if you have the money do it at the same time if the shop is already in there it will be cheaper.
The vibrations or the needle bearing is about a 15% chance it will happen. Again if you have the money and you want the shop to do it at the same time they are already in there then you won’t have to worry if you’re the 15%.
I wouldn’t do UCA, CMC or ECGS bushing until I found out I needed to but... It’s your money, your truck, your time and your stress.

Thanks for the info man!

Sooo... OME or Bilsteins for 2.5 inch lift?? Don’t go off road, but I want it to ride a smooth as possible on long trips...

Sooo... OME or Bilsteins for 2.5 inch lift?? Don’t go off road, but I want it to ride a smooth as possible on long trips...
Ome coils... check with a retailer for the right ones.
The last thing u need is the heavy duty coils made to carry an additional 200lbs or something.

Preloading stock coils to get 2.5" will not offer as smooth of a ride (5100s)

Dont forget new upper control arms if you want your alignment back in spec.

Also, i think toyteclifts has new eibach coils... they are only 600lb but longer and give 2.5" of lift. Check it out, i may be wrong.

Course pair the coils you choose with 5100s set at zero lift (1st clip). This lets the coils do the lifting and the 5100s will just be better valved for the extra spring rate.

Back