Top end ticking like lifters?

taco nacho

Just picked up an 2003 toyota tacoma for free!! 144xxx on it and i did a water pump and timing belt. my new problem is a pretty loud ticking throughout driving from cold start on. Timing isss set, but im still unsure about how the lifters function. Something about some shimmes possably? New to the forum so help a brotha out! Thanks guys!!

Just picked up an 2003 toyota tacoma for free!! 144xxx on it and i did a water pump and timing belt. my new problem is a pretty loud ticking throughout driving from cold start on. Timing isss set, but im still unsure about how the lifters function. Something about some shimmes possably? New to the forum so help a brotha out! Thanks guys!!

No lifters but theres shims in between the valves & cam lobes IIRC I haven't done it & sure as hell don't feel like messing with 4 cams & all the valves but guess I'd do it if it came down to it ..

Ive been driving it and i mean i havent pulled anything so idk if theres any damage being down but since it wasnt bottom end ive just been driving it? Ill try to post a sound clip and some of strip down. I work at a local shop in fulton ny. the new york state fair starts today so we should be dead for a week so im going to try and get it in. Fingers crossed. Gotta fix the tick so i can bring it off roading :thumbup: Thnks for the reply!

Back