Towing package

mkzig

Trying to figure out whether I need to buy a trailer brake controller for my new Tacoma. It came with a towing package (evidenced by the receiver hitch on the back) and the manual says there is a plug under the dash for a controller. But the only plug I can find has a different pin pattern than the controllers I've looked at online. Any ideas? Thanks

There should be a plug with wires that came with the truck in the glove box. You will need to splice that plug onto the wiring harness for whatever controller you get. The other side of the plug is a bit of a task to find, but it is under the dash near where the drivers left foot would be. Mine was quite buried. If you don't see yourself pulling a trailer with brakes, there is no need to install a controller.

We are saying that you don't simply plug the brake controller into the truck. You hard wire the harness to the controller and then plug the modified wiring into the truck. Plug n play means you take it out of the box, plug it in and it works.

After you wired the harness to the controller right? If it was a new out of the box plug n play controller it is news to me.

Last edited:
Back