Toyota subscription work around?

Meierme

First-time Tacoma owner and brand new to this forum. I wasn't aware of the subscription fee Toyota is trying to force on their customers to use something that's already built into the vehicle. Beyond installing aftermarket things, is there a workaround to gain access to my remote start, and disconnect Toyota from the vehicle? I would prefer if they didn't have the power to remotely mess with my vehicle.

Only thing i get constant emails and post cards is from sirus xm. I never needed it before, and don't need it now, but they are persistent.

Toyota isn't even sure it can separate the transmitter control from their connected services software. That's apparently part of the ongoing evaluation.

Only thing i get constant emails and post cards is from sirus xm. I never needed it before, and don't need it now, but they are persistent.
I have the upgraded tech package and after one year I lost access to my remote start, upgraded GPS features, unlocked doors alert, and SOS assistance. I get that some of that requires someone to be there, but the remote start and GPS are already installed hardware. Forcing me to pay $8 a month for my remote start, then another $8 for the GPS, then another $8 for the unlock alerts, and so on is absolute absurdity.

Toyota isn't even sure it can separate the transmitter control from their connected services software. That's apparently part of the ongoing evaluation.
How long has that evaluation been going on? They removed the keys remote start feature, so I can't even use just the built-in hardware. There is no excuse for that. Just pure greed.

I have the upgraded tech package and after one year I lost access to my remote start, upgraded GPS features, unlocked doors alert, and SOS assistance. I get that some of that requires someone to be there, but the remote start and GPS are already installed hardware. Forcing me to pay $8 a month for my remote start, then another $8 for the GPS, then another $8 for the unlock alerts, and so on is absolute absurdity.

How long has that evaluation been going on? They removed the keys remote start feature, so I can't even use just the built-in hardware. There is no excuse for that. Just pure greed.
I personally am not a fan of subscription fee services. But I think It will all depend on what the market will bear. Folks may accept it due to being used to paying for subscriptions for just about everything these days, from movie streaming services to home-delivered meal subscriptions and checked baggage on airlines. Car manufacturers hope to rake in large amounts of revenue from these services, despite their already high-profit margin.

Back