TPMS and wheels compatibility

Tape

I have to do this in two parts because I keep getting an error from the website

I'm planning on taking a trip so I wanted to get some wheels with some highway tires on them or something with less friction than the Goodyear Wrangler.

My plan was to buy somebody's wheels that had the TPMS installed with practically new tires, this way I could just put them on my truck and not have to worry about the sensors and the truck would see that they had OEM sensors and adjust accordingly. What a wake up call, I had no idea you had to have them reprogram the trucks computer so I guess you could say I found out the hard way. In my mind I thought if I took a 2019 Tacoma, remove its wheels and put them on my truck and everything would be fine but it doesn't work that way. The reason for this is every TPMS sensor has its own ID code or serial number and it gets locked into the vehicles computer so when the computer doesn't see the serial number is programmed to see, it throws a light.

The reset under the steering is used only for when rotating the wheels and will not reset the CPU like I assumed.

I just wanted people to know that you just can't swap wheels from one truck to another. Now I have to either take my truck to Toyota & let them charged me about $250 to reprogram the wheels to my truck or put up with the idiot light and I can't stand when my vehicles are not right like they're supposed to be.

I did some research and found out I could buy scan tool that would re-program the trucks computer. This went on for about two weeks, finding the wheels I want and the scan tool that would work with our trucks.

I wanted to use the:

ATEQ QUICKSET TPMS TOOL SCANNER

s-l500.jpg

Which is only $125.95 and you can have winter tires and summer tires programmed into this so when you turn it on you just select which one you wanted and it did it automatically, very simple but it only works with windows and I have a MacBook.

Last edited:
So I ended up buying the:

Autel TS501 TPMS Codes Reader Reprogram Tire Pressure Sensor Activation Tool

it cost $241 and it was supposed to be compatible with our trucks, so I went to Amazon and they have a special where you can join prime for 30 days and get two day shipping then cancel it if that's what you wanna do. I join prime and bought it from Amazon so if this thing didn't work I would send it back.

UPS delivered it today and I played with it for about 30 minutes and it worked, when I saw the tire pressures on the screen man was I so relieved. I just wanted those that thought as I did that just because Toyota wheels have the sensors in them from the factory they still have to be reprogrammed.

The Autel TS501 is a bit intimidating at first but when you start playing with it you start to understand how it supposed to work and also read the manual it tells you step-by-step what you need to do.

Last edited:
When I put after market wheels on my truck Midas, installed, mounted and balanced, wheels the tech had a bitch of a time to get computer to notice them , he. finally did and it was good for 6 months .Had it done again and good for same time then, started to blink so I said screw it I have a tire gauge .should have taken originals out of my wheels from factory before selling .oh well

Back